Hybrid Integrated Amp with DAC

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
Looking for a hybrid integrated amp with DAC. Tubes for preamp stage, ss for power stage. No need for huge power as feeding Avantgarde horn speakers and no need for any analogue inputs.

What's out there?

I know of:
Copland CSA 100 appears a possibility but has no AES/EBU input and rather too biased towards analogue .
AVM's Ovation A 8.3 is another hybrid that caters for digital and analogue inputs

Something like a Mark Levinson 5802 (digital-only version of the 5805) with a tube pre would probably fit the bill nicely

Any suggestions appreciated. Ideally sub 10K Thanks. Peter

Last edited:

gestalt

Aug 3, 2019
Nashville, TN
gestalt.audio
Aesthetix Mimas comes to mind. Curious, why the SS output stage requirement with horns? If that is negotiable, something like the LampizatOr Amber Amplifier is lovely.

Reactions: christoph

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
Aesthetix Mimas comes to mind. Curious, why the SS output stage requirement with horns? If that is negotiable, something like the LampizatOr Amber Amplifier is lovely.
Doesn't have a DAC (athough perhaps there's an optional module) and seems to have no front panel volume control or remote control. Not really what I'm looking for. Too "analogue"!

I used tube amps for many years but came to the conclusion that I'd listen to much more music if I switched to ss - and that's turned out to be the case. No going back now, although a little tube or two in the preamp section may work for me! Thanks.

gestalt

Aug 3, 2019
Nashville, TN
gestalt.audio
Doesn't have a DAC (athough perhaps there's an optional module) and seems to have no front panel volume control or remote control.
Yep, the DAC is an optional module that slides in the back. IIRC a phono card is available, too. The front panel's volume control is built into the display; you tap the left or right side for up/down. It does ship with a remote.

Not really what I'm looking for.
No worries.

I used tube amps for many years but came to the conclusion that I'd listen to much more music if I switched to ss - and that's turned out to be the case.
Do you mind elaborating a bit?

VerdantAudio

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2020
The AVM A 5.2 has the optional DAC card as well, has the tube input stage and is a bit less expensive than the A 8.3 obviously. It is $6600. The A 5.3 is expected toward the end of Q2 next year. The 8.3 is definitely more refined but the 5.2 is pretty great for the money.

Reactions: Hear Here

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing