Ibasso DC03 DAC/AMP wont work with my devices. Is it broken?

BnGmurphy

Aug 10, 2021
Summary: it doesn't work with my phone. Do others work with the Samsung Note 9? Shoukd qi get an LG V20? Or should I just stick with headphones?

Long version...

I bought this item as an introduction to high quality sound and have spent 6 hours trying to get it to work on my 3 devices. It has worked at least once on each, but repeating what caused it to work wouldn't work again. So I am wondering if it is a defective unit before sending it back (e.g. maybe there is a fault making it not send the right information to my devices or a wire is loose?). I am in Vietnam and it was shipped from China and returns need to be for broken products and done within 7 days. I am hoping someone can reassure me it is broken or something else, please.

Main device I wanted to use it on is a Samsung Galaxy Note 9. Also tried on Dell XPS laptop running Windows 10 (edit: it works on this now after updating firmware) and a Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 Plus (too tired to try again but didn't get to use with this anyway).

I have been Googling solutions and watching videos. Then menu diving trying loads of different things. Anyone know if Samsung devices don't work well with these? If so should I buy a different brand or will I need to buy an MP3 player or switch phone? I have earphones and open ear headphones on the way, so I would be willing to switch phone. The LG V20 seems to be the best, apparently the DAC/AMP isn't needed on those phones. The DAC costs more than the budget headphones and earphone, if I could get a refund that would almost pay for an LG phone.

With my phone, the only way I can get it to work consistently is to restart the phone with it plugged in, but if I unplug it to charge then it won't work again.

The headphones I have ordered have 32 Ohms and 25 Ohms impedance, so maybe I don't need the DAC/AMP? I read they are needed for ones that go over 32 Ohms. Although it sounded much better on some songs with the headphones that came with my phone.

I am a total noob to this so any advice would really be appreciated. I was into Hi-Fi 25-30 years ago and haven't had good sound quality since. I really want to try and get close to that Hi-Fi sound with headphones whilst traveling. I currently get to plug in my old Hi-Fi once every 2 years when I visit the UK and it is bliss. I am sick of the poor sound on JBL Bluetooth speakers.

Last edited:

BnGmurphy

Aug 10, 2021
They have confirmed it won't work:

"If you mainly use the DC03 with your Samsung, the DC03 may not suitable for you. We don't have a solution to work with Samsung without reboot.

Sincerely

iBasso Audio"

Reactions: Addicted to hifi

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Welcome to WBF, BnGmurphy!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing