• Solved

Results are only viewable after voting.

orfeo_monteverdi

Jan 16, 2015
Europe
[please forgive my poor English]

I note there is no possibility to indent text on this forum, like this:
indent.png

I miss the lack of that functionality that lets the user able to structure his thoughts, if necessary.
I wonder if I am the only one. Therefore this poll.

NB: the goal is NOT to lose ourselves in endless circumvolutions: there is no contradiction between structure with indents, and to-the-point posts (watch the screenshot above and read carefully, please).

I assume that indent feature could be just a matter of configuring this forum, as the HUG has this feature.

Therefore my QUESTION:
Would you like to have the indent feature (even if YOU would not use it: it would allow others to express their thoughts in a clearer way to YOU, so it could enhance readability).

rando

Sep 22, 2019
We have an alignment function . That's it. we can't provide what doesn't exist and in over 12 years this is the first request for such.

Just to clarify for your purposes.

This falls under the category of plugins. Plugins allow you to add functionality above or beyond what your base forum software provides. These post construction/editing boxes are chock-a-block full of options. Julian (The Fixer) could certainly provide you with an overview of anything deemed worth considering.

Technically proficient members are allowed freedom to insert BBCode to some unexplored extent. Under the three dots symbol located far top right one finds tools for this. Obviously TAB functionality is easier to replicate with a few taps on SPACEBAR than coding it every time a single indent is desired. Any more than that and BBCode will be of great help.

rando

Sep 22, 2019
We use many plug in's on our platform but TBH this is not one in which we are interested

Since I was not making a case for plugin(s).
You may take it as a polite mention of reviewing access to any uninteresting BBCode functionality that became available following the last major update. As proved to be the case with post ornamentation.

While providing this member with an alternative solution likely to go unmentioned.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Since I was not making a case for plugin(s).
You may take it as a polite mention of reviewing access to any uninteresting BBCode functionality that became available following the last major update. As proved to be the case with post ornamentation.

While providing this member with an alternative solution likely to go unmentioned.
I appreciate your input. Even if we had such a function my bet is it will rarely if ever be used

Rarely do I ever see the alignment button used

Reactions: rando

orfeo_monteverdi

Jan 16, 2015
Europe
members are allowed freedom to insert BBCode to some unexplored extent. Under the three dots symbol located far top right one finds tools for this

Thanks,
Actually, this forced me to do a search for a specific BBcode tag meant to indent text, as I ignored there was one !

SOLUTION (somewhat 'geekish', but at least there is one)
1. toggle the BBcode button:
BBcode1.png

2. then you have to use the INDENT tag in the "editor":
Multiple level are even available, but I this could lead to embed too much digressions; I will personallly try to limit myself to only ONE level of explanatory 'asides'
BBcode2.png

RESULT
Indent in action gives then something like:

This is the main point.​
This is the main point.​
This is the main point.​
This is the main point.​
this is an additional information​
// Note that when you press ENTER, you are still correctly aligned,​
by contrast with TAB, which is anyway not allowed here, as this is a Web page.​
Back to the main point,​
now hopefully a bit more clear.​
This is the main point's conclusion.​

But I admit it is more cumbersome (to type those tags in the editor) that clicking on a button in a toolbar.

a DEDICATED Indent BUTTON requires a commercial plugin => rejected.

So, if all Julian (The Fixer) has to do to enable that feature (a specific button in the toolbar) is just an easy and free configuration, welcome.​
If such a configuration generates an invoice, that's another story.​

Thanks for mentioning the alignment function, Steve.
Nevertheless, it renders something different,
so no surprise that you have never seen someone using it.​

(please note that English is not my mother tongue.
I am using both the Collins&Robert and the Cambridge Advanced Learner dictionaries in a painful attempt to be clear...).

Thanks !
Orfeo

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I don’t dispute your thoughts but again in 12 years this has never been an issue. Plug ins cost money. Nothing is free
I’ve discussed it with Julian and we aren’t interested so I’m afraid this is dead in the water

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Again, my only intent was to facilitate a common understanding.

Alternative means to accomplish numerous indented lines in any sequence (with minimal editing) may or may not end up being progressively more difficult than a dedicated button would be in real world usage.

orfeo_monteverdi

Jan 16, 2015
Europe
Plug ins cost money. Nothing is free
I’ve discussed it with Julian and we aren’t interested

I understand.

I know now that there is an alternative solution, even if it is less practical / more cumbersome.
SOLUTION described here.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing