Interconnect Experiences With Studer A820?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
My Studer A820 output is configured with short, solid core, silver wire single-ended RCA connections. I have to use an interconnect extension to connect these RCAs to a line stage.

What particular interconnects are you using to connect the internal audio electronics of your A820 to your line stage pre-amp?

How and why did you choose sonically this particular interconnect?

(Please kindly respond only if you’re reporting actual personal listening and interconnect comparison experience on A820s.)

Thank you.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Well Ron this is deep minefield of a question
having said this your video sounds amazing not lacking mid nor high freq roll as miss match interconnects can do. Many feel silver is more top energy. I can’t explain why but I feel it’s true
changing from se to bal Ina connector if i under stood you correctly is difficult
There is at least 3 types of bal wiring configs I know of.
I feel an se beyond 5 feet is not always a
Good sound. But if one uses a balanced wiring with an xlr on one side and rca on the other you can extend the length
let others give there views
Last im
Sorry I don’t have your tape Machine lol.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you for your reply. I am not worried about single-ended at even 10 feet or 12 feet. I like the simpler circuit of single-ended.

Are you sitting down? The 9 foot "interconnect" I am using in that video recording is:

3' MIT MI-330 with female-to-female RCA "barrel" connector to 3' MIT MI-330 with female-to-female RCA "barrel" connector to 3' DH Labs Silver Sonic. So . . . three separate cables with two intermediate connectors and employing two different brands of cables -- aggregating 9 feet of single-ended!

0F7881FA-2A07-4EA0-BC73-3724BB01FC19.jpeg

Maybe I should start a new cable company: MixAlot Audio

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
IMHO you should also ask for what type of line amplifier card people have in their A820's.
There is more than one type, if people have different card versions probably the cable optimization will differ.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
That is a very good point, Francisco.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
My Studer A820 output is configured with short, solid core, silver wire single-ended RCA connections. I have to use an interconnect extension to connect these RCAs to a line stage.

What particular interconnects are you using to connect the internal audio electronics of your A820 to your line stage pre-amp?

How and why did you choose sonically this particular interconnect?

(Please kindly respond only if you’re reporting actual personal listening and interconnect comparison experience on A820s.)

Thank you.
Ron,

need some clarity on these interconnects.

are these RCA's coming from the stock output cards? or from a switched direct out from the heads, meant to be input into a separate tape output electronics. how long do these interconnects need to be? and do your preamp and amps use true balanced circuits? is the tape repro true balanced?

if it's a direct out i assume you can still chose the stock output circuit? do you have the Studer Transformer-less output cards?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron,

need some clarity on these interconnects.

are these RCA's coming from the stock output cards? or from a switched direct out from the heads, meant to be input into a separate tape output electronics. how long do these interconnects need to be? and do your preamp and amps use true balanced circuits? is the tape repro true balanced?

if it's a direct out i assume you can still chose the stock output circuit? do you have the Studer Transformer-less output cards?

The RCAs are coming from the output cards. (So they are not coming from any direct-out from the heads, meant to be used with an external tape repro.)

I am not sure if these particular output cards are still stock, or if they are among the cards which have been modified and simplified.

Presently, the tape machine is enjoying its privacy in the corner, about 10 feet from the line-stage preamplifier tape input.

Presently, I do not have the Studer transformer-less output cards. (But if the stock Studer transformer cards relate to the transformers for the balanced output circuit, then those transformers have been removed.)

I’m just trying to figure out if there are any advantages or disadvantages sonically to using a particular interconnect between the stock (not direct head out) level of output and the line-stage preamplifier input.

Thank you!

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
The RCAs are coming from the output cards. (So they are not coming from any direct-out from the heads, meant to be used with an external tape repro.)

I am not sure if these particular output cards are still stock, or if they are among the cards which have been modified and simplified.

Presently, the tape machine is enjoying its privacy in the corner, about 10 feet from the line-stage preamplifier tape input.

Presently, I do not have the Studer transformer-less output cards. (But if the stock Studer transformer cards relate to the transformers for the balanced output circuit, then those transformers have been removed.)

I’m just trying to figure out if there are any advantages or disadvantages sonically to using a particular interconnect between the stock (not direct head out) level of output and the line-stage preamplifier input.

Thank you!
probably the first thing i would do is find some stock output cards and try XLR interconnects to compare to the RCA's. trying to optimize the RCA's when those might be compromised might not be the best thing.

RCA's might be fine, but hard to predict how properly the RCA outputs are executed. whoever sold you the deck might be able to tell you how well it was done.

Reactions: Argonaut

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
Thank you for your reply. I am not worried about single-ended at even 10 feet or 12 feet. I like the simpler circuit of single-ended.

Are you sitting down? The 9 foot "interconnect" I am using in that video recording is:

3' MIT MI-330 with female-to-female RCA "barrel" connector to 3' MIT MI-330 with female-to-female RCA "barrel" connector to 3' DH Labs Silver Sonic. So . . . three separate cables with two intermediate connectors and employing two different brands of cables -- aggregating 9 feet of single-ended!

Maybe I should start a new cable company: MixAlot Audio
MIXALOT....Sounds good... Sign me up.....:)

By the way I have used various extensions, as you have described, over the years, (when the necessary length wasn't available).....and to good effect.
Cheers.....

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing