Jeff Rowland gear with Wilson Sophia 3 speaker

FredTam

Oct 17, 2012
I am think about getting Corus + 625 for my Wilson Sophia 3 speakers, the reason being I have been using Aeries Dac since November 2011, happen to like the sound but not too sure if the pre-amp and power amp will match well with Sophia 3 than the Spectral gear. Does anyone here have any insight on this ?

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
Hi Fred, I have used the Rowland M625 stereo amp, and now am using M725 monos on Vienna Die Muzik speakers, which have relatively difficult impedance characteristics. Robert Harley has just reviewed very favorably M725 and believes that they excell on the large Magico QW7 flagships. So I suspect that either M625 or M725 should do well on Sofia 3.

For a preamplifier, I am using the Rowland Criterion, whose audio circuit is essentially the same as Corus.

There is no problem at all for both M625 and M725 to control Muzik, except that M725 do an even better job than M625.

The difference is that M625 appears to generate a stage and images that are about 65% of the size of M725. Furthermore, I found M725 to be even more transparent and tonally rich than M625, probably because M725 uses low capacitance ceramic motherboards. Finally, while M725 seems to have an unlimited power reserve and authority because of a 1500W power supply on each chassis, M625 seems on occasion to be nearing its limit in authority during very difficult passsages, probably because it as a single 1500W supply shared on two channels.

The reason why I am saying all of this is that if you are using only digital as a source, you may not need a preamp at all.... Aries does even better on its own than when driving a preamplifier. With the same investment of M625+Corus you could get a pair of M725 monos, that you can drive directly with your Aeris.

Regards, Guido

jap

Banned
Apr 6, 2012
If your Aeries Dac permits direct connection to power amplifiers, check out the Aesthetix Atlas Signature.

Great match for the Sophia 3s.

FredTam

Oct 17, 2012
Dear Guido,
Thanks for your advice.
As a matter of fact, I am still spinning vinyl and I do need a pre-amp.
I did compare Aeries with Corus and without on 625 for Avalon speaker, I like the sound with Corus better.
Will further compare the JF gear against Spectral with Sophia 3.
Thanks again.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
A think you are in the right track considering JRDG for pre/amp and stick to Guido's advice, either amp will work weLl with your Sophias, I heard a 301 with the new Avalon Compas and walked out from Neil's demo room amazed!!!!

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
Hi Fred, as you have direct experience of Aeris with Corus preamp and without it, could you describe for us the audible differences that you heard between the two configurations.... And what you like better when Corus is in the circuit? Thanks, Guido

FredTam

Oct 17, 2012
Thanks Flez.
will do final comparison between JRDG and Spectral gears with Sophia 3 and finalize my decision by Jan/February.

FredTam

Oct 17, 2012
Dear Guido,
Base on what I heard from Hong Kong with Aeries DAC with and without Corus + 625 with Avalon speaker (forgot the model):
without Corus, the sound is more to your face, I could sense the gain is big or way too big, but it is more hi fi and exciting
with Corus, the sound is more enjoyable but you may have to tune the volume a big louder than before.
Image and focus are more or less the same in both cases. I would say if I am listening to single vocal, I like it without, but with more complex music, like Mahler Symphony or even opera, I like it with Corus.

hongkongfoufou

Mar 3, 2018
Thanks Flez.
will do final comparison between JRDG and Spectral gears with Sophia 3 and finalize my decision by Jan/February.
After 8 years, what is your choice ?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing