Kharma Exquisite 1D's for sale----great opportunity for someone.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
i am not the seller, do not know the seller, and am not in any way connected to this sale.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/l...e-walnut-pair-enigma-cabling-19776-full-range

OTOH, i owed these speakers (or one's very similar) from 2001 to 2004 and absolutely loved them. and in room they are works of art. wife acceptance factor off the chart, my wife still misses these beauties. super build quality.

always coherent and musical, with great foundation and flow. they weigh 500 pounds each but are only 50 inches tall, so fit in smallish rooms, but have a big sound. you do need a stout, solid floor.

likely around 90-91db efficient and a relatively easy load. so medium power tubes work and any solid state. no edge or tipped up tonality, quite neutral.

for $25k plus shipping these are a steal, and an 'end game' type speaker.

i hope someone nice gets these.

1576284555682.png

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I agree Mike. I heard those speakers in the barn the time I visited . In fact I think I was the first visitor to the barn and those speakers were very good

quite true Steve. those were great speakers, and you were here a month or so after i first moved into the barn. hindsight being 20/20, i realize now that my excess bass trapping really handicapped those speakers in that room. they simply could not overcome that challenge. so i moved on to VR9SE's.

i often wonder how it would have worked out if i knew then what i know now. such is life.

Music2move

Nov 20, 2015
Currently have Kharma Exquisite Ref 1A with diamond tweeter upgrade and external crossovers, biwired w Kharma Exquisite and Synergistic cables to Nagra HD monos, couldn't be happier....How do the ID compare? Interested in your thoughts

Thanks

analyzer

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2016
Torino - Italy
I'm convincted that the classic 1a/1d with diamond tweeter is already a wonderful speaker; the best of the line (maybe with the exception of larger recent models).
As resumed by Mike they have a mix of detail, well balanced timbre, extension and superb presentation (probably the most important quality of Kharma speakers).
When I had some of a less expensive models of the brand it was my first choice but it's not easy to manage; 210 kilograms each in one piece... if you live in an apartement at fifth floor as me you must call a tower crane for transport...

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Currently have Kharma Exquisite Ref 1A with diamond tweeter upgrade and external crossovers, biwired w Kharma Exquisite and Synergistic cables to Nagra HD monos, couldn't be happier....How do the ID compare? Interested in your thoughts

Thanks
i never heard the 1D's and your model side by side, but i think the Diamond tweeter version of the Exquisite's were shown at CES in 2002. it was better to some degree i suppose. more refined and extended. but they were using Lamm ML2's, and i preferred my Tenor 75 watt OTL's to those amps. and the CES room was very large and mine were in a super sounding more intimate room. i was using Transparent Opus MM speaker cable so certainly equivalent in that way.

so hard to exactly say from my recollection, but if i were choosing your speakers are a notch above.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I'm convincted that the classic 1a/1d with diamond tweeter is already a wonderful speaker; the best of the line (maybe with the exception of larger recent models).
As resumed by Mike they are a mix of detail, well balanced timbre, extension and superb presentation (probably the most important quality of Kharma speakers).
When I had some of a less expensive models of the brand it was my first choice but it's not easy to manag; 210 kilograms each in one piece... if you live in an apartement at fifth floor as me you must call a tower crane for transport...
actually even though the Exquisite 1D's were over 500 pounds each, their diminutive size allowed for a reasonable handling proposition. if that 5th floor had an elevator, then one person could move the crates on a piano dolly (2 people would be better). and even setting them up was a breeze; the stand was in a separate box. you simply raise one end of the crate slightly, slide the speaker forward a bit out of the box (the hardest part) so you can attach the stand, and tilt them up. i did it by myself a couple of times when i moved to my new home. each time i did that the quality of the build was easy to see. i remarkable timeless design.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing