Lampizator Big 7 mk2 - upgrade tubes or move to Pacific or Technics?

jamesdowningelliott

Fleetwood Sound Owners Group
Aug 13, 2022
New York, NY
So - I’m new to this forum, but have been in the hobby for long enough to go pretty deep… my current quandary is how best to progress my digital front end without going completely nuts. I will start by saying that the Lampizator Big 7 is the first DAC I have ever had that comes close enough to vinyl that I have been totally happy to spend entire nights listening to digital. Is it as good as a record? No. Is it close enough that I don’t care? 100%

After a year with an MSB Discrete, 6 months with a Weiss 502, and the last year with a Lampizator Big 7 mk2 and Lumin U1 mini, I think it is time to upgrade my digital front end. How do you guys feel about the Pacific? There should be a decent deal available with the new Horizon being out. Is it worth me messing around with the Takatsuki 300B for my Big 7 or should I just bite the bullet and find a nice Pacific? Or is this all wrong and should I consider a DCS Bartok or Mola Mola My only issue withy Big 7 is that it is slightly edgy on the top (tubes from factory) and I feel this should not be the case.

This all started when a $2700 Technics SU G700 mk2 plugged directly into my Roon Core SMOKED my system in a head to head in my room with my speakers. After years of swapping things around to end up with a phenomenal system with a Zanden amp and Lampizator DAC - this little technics blew my mind. Such detail yet nothing fatiguing at all. I can’t help but think that there is something I can do with my DAC to create a better synergy. Of course the Technics will be sitting on my rack to compare - it costs less than some good interconnects!

Am I losing my mind or going deaf?

Or - is the Technics really just that good?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Welcome to WBF, James!

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
These are not the candidates you are considering, but, having recently compared directly the Lampizator Horizon to the dCS Vivaldi Apex, if you are happy with Lampizator, I don’t think you will be happy with a dCS.

Reactions: jamesdowningelliott

Gjo

Aug 22, 2021
Trust your ears.

Reactions: hogen

Blake

Jun 28, 2018
It seems you found the inexpensive Technics to be a huge improvement, rather than just a mild improvement over your current system and your current system is very nice, so I would just buy the Technics. You may simply prefer the Class D/solid state DAC type sound over tubes. Nothing wrong with that and it will save you a boatload of money.

The only caveat is, it would be nice if you could live with the Technics over a longer period to make sure your opinion doesn't change. If after listening to the Technics frequently over several months you still prefer it, only then should you sell off your current gear. Just make sure you are well past the honeymoon phase.

Blake

Jun 28, 2018
Oh, that will be an interesting comparison. Please be sure to post your thoughts after trying both of them.

jamesdowningelliott

Aug 13, 2022
New York, NY
F1B8397D-F252-4B89-87C6-C72B1EB67996.jpeg
Ok - so the verdict is the Mola Mola is more the sound I am looking for - it’s more open than the lampizator and gives up nothing in the bass. The midrange is there but it is the one area where I think the lampizator outshines is - really looking forward to seeing how this thing breaks in!

The technics is an amazing piece of gear for the money, but it just can’t keep up with the Mola Mola and the Zanden (kind of no surprise there) so I have put it in my living room with a U1 mini and my Harbeth 30.2 anniversaries. Phenomenal system that is somewhat rational in the grand scheme of things which I will enjoy immensely.

Reactions: lordcloud and Gjo

Gjo

Aug 22, 2021
I recall when I first installed a Tambaqui (purchased used so fully broken in), the highs were extended and resolved. Dynamics were impressive. All as typically reviewed.

After a week or so, we both felt the highs were too pronounced/crisp, and the music was lacking soul (midrange).

Our opinion of the Tambaqui was not one usually expressed, but we decided it wasn’t aligned with our preferences.

Blake

Jun 28, 2018
Thanks for the report!

badgerdms

Aug 15, 2022
Hey James--I haven't scaled up to the Mola Mola, but after running quite a few DACs in and out of my system the last three months, my favorite is the Merason DAC1 (connected directly to my Innuos Zenith MKiii). Really nice match with the Deville's. Preamp is Backert Labs Rhythm 1.3 & amp is McGary SA1E.

Reactions: jamesdowningelliott

cpcat

Jun 20, 2016
South Carolina
You said you were only using the factory tubes in the B7 MK2? I would definitely roll tubes and try. There are lots of good ideas in the Lampizator Tube rolling thread. 242s either KR or RK, and the RK 5u4g rectifier would be a good start. There are also cheaper NOS options via eBay as well.

Sep 10, 2022
you could send the B7 MK2 to poland for the MK3 upgrade which includes engine eleven.

Reactions: cpcat

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing