Lola

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
This is only for a veterinarian or dog psychologist: we know dogs have incredibly sensitive noses, which allow them to decode many clues about the outside world. Is it possible that Lola upon being in a forest for the first time smelled the scents of big animals (deer, bear, mountain lion) with which she was not familiar, and therefore she became kind of generally scared?

A lifelong friend of mine who brings his dog to stay with him for weeks at a time in the forest reported: "When I take my dog out to my woods and we haven't been there for a while, he just wants to stay in the car for a first few hours. I think they can sense predators who've been there. At my place that means bear, coyotes and cats."

So it seems plausible that Lola was just nervous from sensing predators. (There are piles of bear poo and deer poo on the property.)

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
lol yes dogs sense local wildlife, but they most likely just fearful of the many scents there.
Like a dog out a window but since you’re now asking it to leave a known safe place it’s not sure.
Each bread has its own unique purposes but most owners don’t know this.
I would not let any dog as a pet make me change my own wants.

Leekg

Jan 17, 2022
Visalia, CA
My vet friend in Chandler AZ, who's large animal but a serious dog lover, laughed when I called him this morning to get his take on Lola's response to the forest. What you suspected could be true, although as Alrainbow said there are many new smells including the burned out forest nearby. Throw in new sounds and underfoot conditions and it's an easy overload.

It's also possible Lola was reacting to the fact that you drove her through Representative McCarthy's district. ;)

Reactions: Alrainbow

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
My vet friend in Chandler AZ, who's large animal but a serious dog lover, laughed when I called him this morning to get his take on Lola's response to the forest. What you suspected could be true, although as Alrainbow said there are many new smells including the burned out forest nearby. Throw in new sounds and underfoot conditions and it's an easy overload.

Thank you for asking the question, and for this report.

Reactions: Leekg

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Even though we love our pets what ever kind , they don’t love us as we think.
I truly love my dogs but know while they show endless affection. It’s not love as we do , it’s sad to me but true. The pic I shared of my son and onyx sure looks like love ?? , and is to a point. But it’s really boundaries and alpha male leadership in packs.
I had birds that would eat food out of my mouth. dumb stuff but did have a rewarding emotional connection.

Reactions: Leekg

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Lola sneaking around her Christmas presents prematurely!

IMG_0457.jpeg

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Pokey77

Feb 16, 2022
Reactions: Ron Resnick

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing