M1.1 vs M1.2

iansr

Dec 27, 2010
I am interested in understanding what the differences are between these 2 amps other than the slight increase in power. Model upgrades are not always what they seem to be; I was recently considering buying an Accuphase class A amp that has been upgraded a number of times over the years. A little digging revealed that one of the upgrades was necessitated by the fact that the previously used Toshiba FETs had gone EOL and so they had to start using Fairchild FETs. Now there is NO doubt that they would have continued to use the Toshibas had they been able to do so as they are universally regarded as being superior devices - NOS examples now sell for a premium on DIYA. But of course the newer model was spun as being an upgrade . . .

So what’s the story on these Lamm models? Anybody got an inside track?

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I have the following in my Lamm folder notes; it offers a contrast but no Lamm literature I know of details individual component differences. I cannot remember if I wrote this (but it is not from my own M1.2 review) or copied it from the Lamm Web site or from another M1.2 review:

While the heart of the M1.2 Reference's circuit -- its use of solid-state output devices and a single 6922 tube -- remains identical to that of the M1.1, a number of parts have been changed, making for not only a rather different amp but also one that is more powerful. The M1.2 sports
an upgraded front-end power supply section, pc-boards of much higher quality along with better and finer electronic parts.

The M1.2 Reference's nominal output power is 110 watts, up 10% from the M1.1's output of 100 watts. The M1.2 delivers a continuous 110W into 8/4 Ohms, 400W into 2 Ohms, 600W into 1 Ohm. The M1.1's continuous output power: 100W into 8 ohms; 100W into 4 ohms ; 200W into 2 ohms; 300W into 1 ohm.

Lamm has "redesigned the high- and low-voltage power supplies for the front end; some critical parts have been replaced with higher-quality ones which have appeared on the market recently; certain changes have also been made to the output stage." Also, the power transformer now has a 230V tap, so the M1.2 Reference (and new M2.2) operates at 100, 120, 220, 230 and 240 volts, 50-60Hz. A final change is in the price: the M1.2 Reference costs $19,590 per pair, up over $1000 per amp from the M1.1's final price.

Obviously this was written when the M1.2 first came out, circa 2003. It used to be there was roughly a ~$1k difference in msrp price between the the M1.1 and the M1.2. That has narrowed in recent years to something around a $300 difference.

Reactions: ddk

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Thanks.

Anybody got any other insights?

The M1.2 ref was reviewed many times and we can easily find the reviews on the net . Some times they address the differences between the models. Although the information on the Lamm site is not accessible anymore, we can still find most of it googling on their site using adequate keywords and reading the google cache.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing