M101 Nova LAN Cable

Zuman

Feb 25, 2023
This is one of the most confident yet puzzled posts I've ever made.
I didn't intend to walk into the M101 room at this year's Capital Audiofest, but my brother and I were walking by when we were politely accosted by a vaguely European-sounding gentlemen who invited us to "learn why you need my cable." The room wasn't overcrowded so we wandered in and sat down.
Dr. Lubomir Dostal is the owner, inventor, and designer of M101. He handed me a tablet and invited me to pick a piece of music, so I chose something I've listened to hundreds of times: Miles Davis' Flamenco Sketches from Kind of Blue. It sounded very good indeed, with notably excellent tonalities and slightly surprising front-to-back soundstaging. He then said that we'd been listening to "his" cable, the M101 Nova LAN, but that he was going to now switch to a basic good-quality LAN cable. When he did so, the mids and highs were immediately harsher and the soundstage depth collapsed. My brother - a non-audiophile with only a multi-channel tv surround sound system at home - whispered to me that it didn't sound as good as before. Dostal swiched back, and the quality returned. My brother said "Ok, now it sounds really good again." We did the comparison twice and our experience was consistent.
I emailed Dr. Dostal after the show asking him about how his LAN cable might be applied to my system and also posted a similar question on WBF. The digital side of my system consists of a NAD M50.2 digital player/vault connected by ethernet cable to an eero mesh router and by a Hapa Audio Aero Cu S/PDIF cable to my Okto dac8 Stereo. A dedicated Intel NUC runs Roon ROCK and is also connected by ethernet to the eero router. The consistent advice was to try replacing the ethernet cable between the router and the NAD M50.2 with M101's Nova LAN cable.
Dr. Dostal sent me a cable to try out, and it arrived yesterday. Today, I bought it.
I'm not wealthy, but I'm a retired nonprofit CEO and I'm a scientist who's not prone to being easily fooled. And I know about cognitive bias. I did not want the cable to make a difference for me because I didn't want to buy it. But after listening through countless switches between the M101 Nova and the Amazon Basics cable I was using, the difference was so notable (and enjoyable) that I didn't even want to try other audiophile LAN cables.
The overwhelming impact of the Nova cable in my system is enhanced air, space, soundstage depth, and overall clarity. It manages this without harshness or a feeling of gimmickry or that artificial "special effects" sound. I had been primarily listening to my analog side for the past month or so, but my digital collection is now so compelling that I'm listening to music that I'd long ago written off as being too congested or dull.
If you have the chance to listen to the M101 Nova LAN cable, I'd highly recommend you check it out. I don't know why it does what it does, but it's indisputable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moneoone

Moneoone

Jun 17, 2022
Thank you for the positive review. I'm pleased to know that you're satisfied with the cable. While the differences you highlighted are clear in a home setup, the cable unmistakably reveals these nuances even in an almost empty room at an audio show, where even non-audiophiles can easily distinguish them. This speaks to the cable's quality and its ability to enhance the overall audio experience.

Martyn9

Nov 24, 2019
Having just received my M101 cable I can most assuredly confirm the improved sonic qualities from this cable In my system. I’m so looking forward to receiving my Cisco modified switch that Lubos also recommended to me. An unequivocal recommendation……

Zuman

Feb 25, 2023
Having just received my M101 cable I can most assuredly confirm the improved sonic qualities from this cable In my system. I’m so looking forward to receiving my Cisco modified switch that Lubos also recommended to me. An unequivocal recommendation……
I also ordered that switch ($30!!!).
In my system, my NAD M50.2 player/vault currently connects to an eero mesh router, which also connects to my Roon ROCK NUC. Someone in the Roon community explained that by connecting the Cisco switch to the eero and both the M50.2 and the NUC to the Cisco, the eero is taken out of the chain and the M50.2 and the NUC will exchange data directly through the switch, which is simpler and cleaner.

Martyn9

Nov 24, 2019
This is the switch I ordered from Holland; it was a solid recommendation by Lubos.
Cisco Meraki MS220-8 Basic upgrade
OCXO clock upgrade
Audiophool Meraki PSU 115Vac
Cost 1200€

Happy listening

Zuman

Feb 25, 2023
Ah. He suggested that I use the Cisco Catalyst 2960 router WS-C2960-8TC-L. He must recognize a man of limited means when he sees one!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing