Model number help for Telefunken Reel to Reel (and Turntable)

retro70s

Aug 4, 2020
Hello! I'm brand new here!
As a child in the late 1970s, my first music was played from a home cabinet with panel doors that opened to reveal a Telefunken duo of a reel-to-reel player on the left and turntable on the right. Though I had no reference of comparison, my memory tells me that this set up was my favorite audio experience of anything since. The sound was so rich and pure. I don't remember what speakers my parents had. I hope to track down the original gear but find little info about available Telefunken models to compare. THE CLOSEST I can find (possibly exact) is:

Telefunken magnetofon 203 studio [if not the 204]
Telefunken deluxe musikus 5090 for the vinyl

Clear memories: A mix reel-to-reel tape of around 1977-1978 disco/pop was our main staple so the model number must be before that and I'm guessing post 1967 to give it a tail end. This was in the USA, so unlike the 5090, the lettering likely was in english? I 100% remember the turntable was four speeds and could play 16 and 78 speeds along with the traditional 33 and 45. I had fun setting records to those speeds to make Chipmunk sounds and scary slow rambling. Both players may have fit with a cover for transport like a suitcase. The reel to reel had the front grille and brand logo, and the controls certainly had a light with a needle and a number counter. The long buttons of the 203 model REALLY resonate over the 204 models small buttons.

Can anyone familiar with the Telefunken brand help me narrow down the possible model numbers of 1970 or earlier (purchased in NYC around 1969 or 1970) to seek out again? I hope from a narrow possible selection to look at pictures like a police line up and find the same duo gear of yesteryear. Thank you all!

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing