Modified Lampizator Baltic 4

kwashabc

Jul 22, 2023
I recently completed modifications to my Lampizator Baltic 4. These changes were implemented to provide a rolled off balanced signal to my tube amplifiers for highs and a full range signal to my transistor amps for my subwoofers. I accomplished this by replacing the output blocking capacitors used by the Baltic 4 circuit. Specifically, the 4 Miflex KFPM-01 .82uF capacitors were replaced with 4 V-Cap CuTF .01uF capacitors which roll the tube amps off at 160 Hz. Also, 2 V-Cap ODAM 1uF capacitors were added to provide a full range signal at the RCA outputs.

The following pictures show the modifications:

20231207_102328-2.jpg 20231207_102615.jpg 20231207_102650.jpg 20231207_102233.jpg

The sonic impact of these changes depends on the relative quality of the capacitors used. Since the CuTFs are one of the best available capacitors and the ODAMs are better than the Miflex KFPM-01s, the revised DAC sounds significantly better than stock. However, with these changes, the XLR outputs should only be used with amps that have an input impedance of 100K per + and -.

This change did give me the ability to build the simplest system that I have ever had - as follows:

1. Async USB signal provided by Qobuz
2. Digital signal converted to analog by the Baltic 4 using one tube I/V conversion stage and one tube buffer stage.
3. Baltic XLR signal amplified by two stage Atma-Sphere MA-1s.
4. Amplified signal input to Sound Lab M-2 speakers for 160 Hz to 20 KHz.
5. Baltic RCA signal sent to miniDSP Flex for subwoofer control.
6. miniDSP output sent to Adcom 5802s - then to Sound Lab B1 subwoofers.

At this point I am fairly happy with the resulting sound (are we ever happy enough to stop?). So, I am not sure what is next. Volume control is either by removing bits or output tubes. Anything else gets into impedance matching issues so I am not sure what route I would take.

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing