My CH Precision/Magico System

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Great post Ian. Are those the second cables Peter refers in his listening?
No, the cables Peter was referring to was a pair of Audience FrontRow XLR interconnects, between the phono and preamp that I recently decided to try. My default XLR interconnects (both sources and between preamp and amps) were made for me by a engineer friend of mine.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
No, the cables Peter was referring to was a pair of Audience FrontRow XLR interconnects, between the phono and preamp that I recently decided to try. My default XLR interconnects (both sources and between preamp and amps) were made for me by a engineer friend of mine.
Thanks - I did not realize the ICs being swapped were connecting the phono to preamp - I wrongly assumed preamplifier to amplifier. Can we know what was the first cable?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Thanks - I did not realize the ICs being swapped were connecting the phono to preamp - I wrongly assumed preamplifier to amplifier. Can we know what was the first cable?

The same gentleman built all of my cables near the end of my former system. They sounded great with Pass and Magico. They were balanced and did not work as well in my new Lamm horn system so I sent them back. I think what Ian now uses is very similar to what I had.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The same gentleman built all of my cables near the end of my former system. They sounded great with Pass and Magico. They were balanced and did not work as well in my new Lamm horn system so I sent them back. I think what Ian now uses is very similar to what I had.
Now I am confused. Are you saying the that first cable in your comparison was of the same type as your old cables, custom built?

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Now I am confused. Are you saying the that first cable in your comparison was of the same type as your old cables, custom built?
Correct.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I could not agree more! I plan to have 3 frame units (similar to you) with nothing stacked;

Welcome to vibration management and congrats on your new racks.

Yes, @gds7368 gave good advice imo - happy to see your follow-up on this. I use different racks but whatever the choice, stacking components on each other is 'less than optimal'. I also believe in having plenty of space between a component and the next shelf.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Visually I love those multi-tiered turntables. So cool.:cool:
I am curios about what led you to pair Magico with tubes. They both are fine products, I just always associate Magico with some ultra expensive solid state behemoth.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Visually I love those multi-tiered turntables. So cool.:cool:
I am curios about what led you to pair Magico with tubes. They both are fine products, I just always associate Magico with some ultra expensive solid state behemoth.
I was initially using large Pass amps but didn't like certain ranges of frequencies, then heard CAT at an audio show and became convinced to try them. I liked them a lot in terms of tone etc., but my Magicos sound much more dynamic with CH. So there's a reason for the pairing you describe.

owen lawlor

Jul 30, 2010
Ian, kudos on this amazing system. Cannot believe I hadn't seen this earlier since I've been researching Ch Precision. Have you tested the M1.1 in stereo vs mono? Wondering if I can get away with a single stereo M1.1 and what the differences are.. Thanks!

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Ian, kudos on this amazing system. Cannot believe I hadn't seen this earlier since I've been researching Ch Precision. Have you tested the M1.1 in stereo vs mono? Wondering if I can get away with a single stereo M1.1 and what the differences are.. Thanks!
Thanks, Owen.

I have not tested the M1.1 in stereo mode, nor can I as it requires a optional stereo input board.

I wish I could, it would help to inform me how a single M10 would do in my system.

Reactions: owen lawlor

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing