Mytek 192-DSD DAC or Eximus DP1?

AnakChan

May 16, 2012
Tokyo, Japan
Hi all,

This is my first post to this forum.

I've currently got a Benchmark DAC1 Pre/Stax SRM-727A/SR-009 setup for my desktop. I've been getting quite a few DSDDFF files via my PS3 (which is how I stumbled onto this forum by the way). and am looking at something to replace my Benchmark DAC1 Pre.

I've been keen on the Mytek 192-DSD DAC due to a fair number of my files being in DFF format (via Audirvana Plus on my iMac) but I've never had a chance to actually demo the Mytek. In a recent headphone show in Tokyo, I did get a chance to listen to the Eximus DP1 though which sounded very nice and a decent improvement over the Benchmark DAC1 Pre.

I'm curious if anyone here has actually demo-ed both the Mytek 192-DSD DAC and the Eximus DP1 and provide your thoughts? Naturally with the Mytek 192-DSD DAC, I'm hoping to be able to stream DSD via firewire (not certain if the drivers are ready yet?).

Any advice/thoughts about comparing the two aforementioned DACs are greatly appreciated.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, AnakChan and welcome to the WBF. Personally, I run only physical media so I can not comment or assist you in your decision. Just wanted to drop a line and say hello. We have an extensive knowledge base here, hopefully someone will chime in and offer you their observations. Unfortunately, I can not. That said, once again, welcome to the forum!

AnakChan

May 16, 2012
Tokyo, Japan
@treitz3, thank you for the warm welcome.

I must say just in the past day in doing a little more researching, I've got more products in this space that's confusing me now. It seems "Love Harmony" (ntw-aiwa??) has come up with a AX-U1P USB/DSD transport -> AX-D1 DSD DAC :-

[in Japanese] http://vaiopocket.seesaa.net/article/270686249.html

And Chord Electronics announced their Chord QuteHD DSD DAC too :-

http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/news-info.asp?id=58

This has made my options even more difficult.

firedog

Mar 21, 2011
I recently got the Mytek and think it is a very accurate, clean sounding DAC - not clinical or harsh. Quite a good sound, unless you want your equipment to color the sound.

If you have a lot of DSD files, it seems like the way to go. But it depends a bit on your preamp. I think the pre on the Eximus is exceptionally good, the one on the Mytek is just very good. If you have an extreme hi-end system you'd want to run the Mytek just as a DAC and put the output through an outstanding preamp. It does sound best as just a dac run through a very high end pre.

Otherwise, if you have just a regular audiophile level system, the Mytek is fine as a good performing pre also. And anyway, if you get the eximus, how will you play those DSD files?

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
And anyway, if you get the eximus, how will you play those DSD files?

although I don't own Mytek DAC, I have been using Eximus DP1 from its introduction with good result. However, firedog is right. Eximus DP1 is a PCM DAC and won't play the raw DSD files.
I personally decide to wait for the "DSD over USB" movement to materialize and hardware vendors to supply DSD DAC with USB input. For the DSD files, I move them over to the Korg MR-2000S via USB and use it as a player.

In the meantime, SOTA DSD DAC would be the Playback Design models with their USB converter or the dCS gear. Bruce B is the expert and would add more.

Ki

alexandrov

May 28, 2012
Sofia
I raised a question in the Mytek 192-DSD-DAC thread on computeraudiophile.com and was spanked iimmedieately by the the "fans" without any answer: Does this dac chip (ESS ES9018) convert DSD directly to analog or it goes through PCM?
I'm a big fan of DSD, I owned Cary 306 SACD before, and I have some concerns about sources that convert DSD to PCM and then analog...

firedog

Mar 21, 2011
I raised a question in the Mytek 192-DSD-DAC thread on computeraudiophile.com and was spanked iimmedieately by the the "fans" without any answer: Does this dac chip (ESS ES9018) convert DSD directly to analog or it goes through PCM?
I'm a big fan of DSD, I owned Cary 306 SACD before, and I have some concerns about sources that convert DSD to PCM and then analog...

My understanding is that it converts DSD directly to analog without going through PCM. That is sort of the point. It's not just the ESS chip, the rest of the unit has to be designed to work with DSD also.

The chips that do DSD are plentiful, the dacs designed to enable this function are few.

Write highend@mytekdigital.com : generally you will get an answer from Michal the designer/owner.

AnakChan

May 16, 2012
Tokyo, Japan
although I don't own Mytek DAC, I have been using Eximus DP1 from its introduction with good result. However, firedog is right. Eximus DP1 is a PCM DAC and won't play the raw DSD files.
I personally decide to wait for the "DSD over USB" movement to materialize and hardware vendors to supply DSD DAC with USB input. For the DSD files, I move them over to the Korg MR-2000S via USB and use it as a player.

In the meantime, SOTA DSD DAC would be the Playback Design models with their USB converter or the dCS gear. Bruce B is the expert and would add more.

Ki

One of the products I mentioned above aside from the Love Harmony (which apparently when I talked to another reviewer in Japan, says it's "rubbish"), was the Chord Electronics Chord QuteHD DSD DAC.

It was just released in Japan today for approx Y142,000 (just shy of USD$1800). It does the DSD over USB. It doesn't have balanced output like the Mytek DSD DAC though. But I've not read any reviews of it yet.

I currently own approx 35 SACDs of which have been converted to ISO images. Admittedly I probably listen to those more than my PCM-converted music. I guess the little dilemma I have is if the Eximus DP-1 is that good that it's at a different level/category altogether from DSD DACs.

thestewman

Feb 4, 2011
I currently own approx 35 SACDs of which have been converted to ISO images. Admittedly I probably listen to those more than my PCM-converted music. I guess the little dilemma I have is if the Eximus DP-1 is that good that it's at a different level/category altogether from DSD DACs.

I am interested in the method you used to obtain the ISO images from your SACDs.
Will you please share the method, the equipment needed, the steps necessary and any other details.
I am sure there are others here who will also be appreciative of the information
Thanks in advance

AnakChan

May 16, 2012
Tokyo, Japan
I am interested in the method you used to obtain the ISO images from your SACDs.
Will you please share the method, the equipment needed, the steps necessary and any other details.
I am sure there are others here who will also be appreciative of the information
Thanks in advance
Actually the info can be found here in wbf itself. If you search for PS3 SACD ripping you should see some guidelines. The most difficult for me was to find an old PS3 with OFW 3.55 & to find the latest 0.36 SACD_Ripper with the remote daemon mode.

Anyhow if you can't find the info after search, feel free to PM me.

Gomer

Jun 13, 2012
Hi,

Interestingly I have also been considering both the Eximus and Mytek DACs.
I have been able to hear both in my own system (recently moved to high quality active monitors) and the decision was not clearcut.
After a lot of A/B/A'ing it became clear that the Eximus is a VERY nice DAC ....and would have been my choice if I had not had access to the Mytek.
The Mytek added increased bass depth and, for lack of another word, an 'edge' that brought greater lifelike aspects to music.
My wife has great ears and she initially preferred the Eximus....and then slowly recognised the extra elements the Mytek brought to the table....it is a very close call though and you inevitably need to hear both in your own system - ironically hear in little ole New Zealand i have had excellent service by dealers who deal in both products.

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Hi,

Interestingly I have also been considering both the Eximus and Mytek DACs.
I have been able to hear both in my own system (recently moved to high quality active monitors) and the decision was not clearcut.
After a lot of A/B/A'ing it became clear that the Eximus is a VERY nice DAC ....and would have been my choice if I had not had access to the Mytek.
The Mytek added increased bass depth and, for lack of another word, an 'edge' that brought greater lifelike aspects to music.
My wife has great ears and she initially preferred the Eximus....and then slowly recognised the extra elements the Mytek brought to the table....it is a very close call though and you inevitably need to hear both in your own system - ironically hear in little ole New Zealand i have had excellent service by dealers who deal in both products.

Hi Gomer,

Thanks for your first hand report. Can you share with us the source files and format you had used to compare two DACs?

Ki

Gomer

Jun 13, 2012
Well Ki, I am new to computer audio and am really enjoying being on the learning curve...especially as I have not done any upgrading since 2002.
I recently sold my Chord DAC64, Musical Fidelity M3 integrated and Hyperion 938s and moved to a Laptop with JRiver Media, and an Eximus driving active Equator Q10 monitors. Value for money with this set-up is far beyond usual 'audiophile' expectations.

Audio files are WAV from CD, or 96/192 Flac files from HD Tracks.
The Q10 monitors are very dynamic and transparent and are a good tool for hardware assessment further up the chain. As mentioned the key difference btwn Mytek/Eximus was an element of 'politeness' that the Eximus exhibited compared to the Mytek....not dull or lifeless in any way, just sweet. I picked it up on raw acoustic recordings like Hotel Lorraine by Otis Spann where the Mytek just conveyed a dash greater ambience and visceral musical presence. Of course your preference will be driven by the type of music you listen to.

TJK

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing