Network Acoustics new USB cable MUON2

luca.pelliccioli

Aug 20, 2022
My very first impression, once the music started filling the room, was: oh… oh… my eyes and ears were suddenly wide open, the head instinctively went back! It got my attention. Like savoring a new taste at the first sip, unexpectedly so fresh and pleasant!

Accurate and transparent, no colorations, the music flows with a pleasant tonality in a way that the realism is effectively enhanced. No emphasis on the entire frequency spectrum. The sound is silky, liquid and relaxed, really dynamic and most of all so delicate, especially in micro and subtle nuances.

Revealing and really open, with a wonderful spaciousness, maybe the best characteristic I immediately noticed: airy, vivid, rich of different details coming from every part of the scene. It appears this quality especially when more voices together can be perfectly heard, or different instruments can be distinctly located within an already well balanced homogeneous layer.
Transients are very impactful, in a strength well controlled, I can feel the beauty of attacks in my chest, increasing liveness and engagement a lot.

I’m literally felt in love for its ability in rendering the sound of strings plucked, it seems so real in my room, if fidelity means recreate the sound of an instrument in front of the listener, this cable is a rare example of this attribute. Low level passages and decay are amazing, revealing and palpable until the last audible note.
Body and fullness are present, like before, adding richness and musicality to the playback, thanks to the ability of this cable to preserve the goodness of the amplification, none subtraction or alteration in that area.

It’s not all perfect, though. That kind of magic and analog flavor I used to love in my reference Pink Faun USB cable is still unbeatable but a longer time burning in the MUON2could fix this gap. Also the almost audible white noise during lower passages is not perfect, my feeling is that the well cooked Pink Faun here is better. During break in and more comparisons, this gap was significantly reduced, anyhow. The soundstage is expanded more in width than depth compared to the Pink Faun.

Comparing the MUON2 with the CAD II-R, the latter seems more veiled and less airy, even if it brings a lot of body and a black background. Very silent. I feel the weight of bass, like a muscular strength but it doesn’t make the music breathe enough. The impact of transients is clearly more pronounced. Maybe it is laid back and too much relaxed, in my particular system. Pretty dark and grey, so to speak. Voices are less lifelike, it sounds like clean, perfect and digital not engaging as I usually prefer. The soundstage is narrower and less deep than before. Unlike the GC1 Ground Control and the new USB Control, that I really love and have had a great impact in my chain, this CAD product unfortunately seems not working well in my room. I can’t always get what I want.
I also own other USB cables, like AQ Diamond or Intona Reference, that unfortunately don’t fit my system and personal tastes.
Plugging back the MUON2, each time I felt that the magic was back.

This cable is very light, compared to other cables, easy to manage behind the rack, even though not extremely flexible so it’s a better idea to avoid bending it too much. Spread the wires! Rob suggested to keep the 3 wires as separated/spread as possible. As soon as I managed to do like suggested I heard a subtle difference in clarity and well defined mid/high frequencies.
Connectors are well made, they fit perfectly without risks of loosing.

Burning in. Most part of my positive feedback started right out of the box. The manufacturer recommends to use it for 120 hours to achieve the right degree of performance. I left the streamer playing continuously and after 2 weeks I noticed more significant improvements.

I have decided to postpone the purchase of Sablon EVO and Omega cables, until Mark and Shunyata (or a farsighted dealer out there) will give me the chance to have a home audition. Each trusted audiophile (see customer) should have the right to try and listen to products in his own environment before buying one. Having said that, I need to say that I’m very impressed by the Sablon2020 Ethenernet cable so the EVO is still on my wish list.

I am convinced that people like Rob deserve my appreciation and my gratitude, for the sincerity and availability reserved for me. Rare commodity nowadays. For instance Rob suggested me not to buy the MUON Pro filter in my set up, due to the presence of the Innuos PhoenixNET that running at 100Mb/s is a bottle neck and doesn’t let the MUON Pro Ethernet system performing at its best. Really appreciated the honesty!

The MUON2 is here to stay, together with my reference Pink Faun. They could bring me joy for the coming winter evenings. Warming up my system and my soul.

Here below a simple chart, as my usual, to better describe “with numbers” the different characteristics I noticed playing with these 3 different toys. Needless to say that it works in my system, in my room and with my ears. Others might have different opinions, of course!

CABLEPINK FAUNCAD II-R MUON2
White noise/Hum888
Background898
Naturalness979
Image precision888
Soundstage depth878
Soundstage width878
Separation878
Voice879
Hights878
Bass899
Presence879
Transient799
Clarity878
Airy878
Detail888
Unveil768
Realism979
Calm788
Control788
Engagement879

Attachments

• IMG_4899.jpeg
    IMG_4899.jpeg
    679 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_4902.jpeg
    IMG_4902.jpeg
    846.7 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_4904.jpeg
    IMG_4904.jpeg
    829 KB · Views: 51

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
Thank you for sharing your impression.

Reactions: luca.pelliccioli

flkin

Mar 7, 2019
Bangkok
Having used a bunch of USB cables, including the Habst Ultra III, Curious and Phasure Lush my preferred one is the Pink Faun Interlink USB. In my system it sounds so natural.

I've always wonder why there is a difference in sound, the USB cable being a digital cable carrying bits. Must be acting as some sort of filter to deliver cleaner binary 1s and 0s that has an effect on the DAC when this filtering is happening.

So the source sending pure signals and DAC's ability to handle non-pure digital signals matters too.

Anyoldears

May 31, 2023
I compare the Sablon Evo to Muon2 in my group test coming up over the weekend....

luca.pelliccioli

Aug 20, 2022
I compare the Sablon Evo to Muon2 in my group test coming up over the weekend....
Great! Curious to read your comparisons, can't imagine the effort managing all those cables! Good luck!

Reactions: Anyoldears

Anyoldears

May 31, 2023
anyone with experience with kimber USB line?
btw ansiously waiting for @Anyoldears shootout

MichaelHiFi

Jan 6, 2022
Nice! Version 2 now? Well, I purchased the first version and am quite happy with it. When I added the Waversa LAN filter however, the sound became more holographic and easily comparable to my vinyl setup. The Muon still, was better than other offerings I had. I had to admit, the Waversa's own USB offering was close.

I posted a review on the Waversa, (maybe 2 reviews as I used 2 versions of the Waversa LAN filter).

Congratulations on a very fine USB cable.

l_santista

Aug 5, 2023
Hi, 15 days later, have your thoughts changed, did you notice additional break in benefits on the muon2?

Anyoldears

May 31, 2023
I havent been playing it lately to be honest, I've still been using the Tara Master.

Reactions: l_santista

l_santista

Aug 5, 2023
oh, true, enjoy!
But for my ~3K budget Id rather get a muon USB and a LAN cable, instead of only one USB. Maybe the OP can chime in, he seemed to really like the Muon2 but also quite devided between it and the PinkFaun

luca.pelliccioli

Aug 20, 2022
Hi,
the Muon2 is still here and after a few days of break in I like it even more. I didn’t notice remarkable differences, it is slowly growing in the same qualities. The Pink Faun USB is temporarily in a drawer but I don’t want to sell it.
I added a Sablon Ethernet cable between router and switch, this brought on the table more bass texture and clarity. I tried a second Sablon Ethernet between the switch and server/streamer but it didn’t work, reinforcing low frequencies too much, so I plugged back the Pink Faun Ethernet. It’s a question of synergies!
Until I’ll be able to test in my system an Omega USB and Ethernet, both the Muon2 and Sablon/Pink Faun combo are here to stay. And I’m really happy with them.

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
Hi,
the Muon2 is still here and after a few days of break in I like it even more. I didn’t notice remarkable differences, it is slowly growing in the same qualities. The Pink Faun USB is temporarily in a drawer but I don’t want to sell it.
I added a Sablon Ethernet cable between router and switch, this brought on the table more bass texture and clarity. I tried a second Sablon Ethernet between the switch and server/streamer but it didn’t work, reinforcing low frequencies too much, so I plugged back the Pink Faun Ethernet. It’s a question of synergies!
Until I’ll be able to test in my system an Omega USB and Ethernet, both the Muon2 and Sablon/Pink Faun combo are here to stay. And I’m really happy with them.
Respectfully Luca, a single cable isn’t going to generate more bass than is already present in the source signal. A cable can only present losses and we should understandably minimise those. I try to offer a holistic cable loom, with most individual models being as close to neutral as possible. Inevitably, not every single cable will be similarly voiced as I use a different design approach, however when you put them together then a rewarding synergy will arise. Tbh, I’ve never subscribed to the ‘cable as a tone control’ school of thought.

Reactions: barbz127 and Golum

luca.pelliccioli

Aug 20, 2022
Hi Mark,
I understand your observation but I heard what I heard. I found the first cable improving sound quality a lot, working on particular areas and characteristics like clarity, background and especially bass. I’m not qualified to understand why but, as I wrote you by email, I simply loved the ability of the cable to transform bass, bringing a sense of richness, texture and most of all impactful pleasure. It enhanced engagement and let me experiencing a better contact with music. In a simple word, I liked its sound.
to be honest I cannot describe the result as more neutral, compared to other cables I have listened to in my system. Unlike you, I‘m pretty sure a cable can change the general tonal balance of a system, being it a power cord, a speaker cable or a USB and ethernet cable.
This perception drove me to want more of what I was hearing, here the reason why I ordered a second cable. Could it be the different length or what else but the sum of two cables of the same type in my particular system, after 3 days of listening, seems to change the sound not for the better. I lost openness, realism especially in voice and got that kind of excess of enhancement on bass area, becoming prevalent over other areas. In the same way I immediately liked the first one right out of the box, while it improved day after day, I disliked the result of the second added cable. I can only attest that the synergy of a Sablon with a Pink Faun cable, in my room and to my ears, sounds more natural and realistic than using two Sablon together. Don’t ask me why, if you can believe me I‘d appreciate you trust in my spontaneous and unprofessional artisanal descriptions of what I’m hearing. I like your ethernet cable, like the AES/EBU one I already bought a few months ago, unfortunately the experiment I did adding a second ethernet cable simply didn’t encounter my likings. And I tried to describe why in my words.
Anyhow thanks for your kind and speed service, I appreciate so much like your respectfully comments. Hope one day to try also the USB model.

Last edited:
Reactions: jasond

Di-fi

Feb 17, 2021
My very first impression, once the music started filling the room, was: oh… oh… my eyes and ears were suddenly wide open, the head instinctively went back! It got my attention. Like savoring a new taste at the first sip, unexpectedly so fresh and pleasant!

Accurate and transparent, no colorations, the music flows with a pleasant tonality in a way that the realism is effectively enhanced. No emphasis on the entire frequency spectrum. The sound is silky, liquid and relaxed, really dynamic and most of all so delicate, especially in micro and subtle nuances.

Revealing and really open, with a wonderful spaciousness, maybe the best characteristic I immediately noticed: airy, vivid, rich of different details coming from every part of the scene. It appears this quality especially when more voices together can be perfectly heard, or different instruments can be distinctly located within an already well balanced homogeneous layer.
Transients are very impactful, in a strength well controlled, I can feel the beauty of attacks in my chest, increasing liveness and engagement a lot.

I’m literally felt in love for its ability in rendering the sound of strings plucked, it seems so real in my room, if fidelity means recreate the sound of an instrument in front of the listener, this cable is a rare example of this attribute. Low level passages and decay are amazing, revealing and palpable until the last audible note.
Body and fullness are present, like before, adding richness and musicality to the playback, thanks to the ability of this cable to preserve the goodness of the amplification, none subtraction or alteration in that area.

It’s not all perfect, though. That kind of magic and analog flavor I used to love in my reference Pink Faun USB cable is still unbeatable but a longer time burning in the MUON2could fix this gap. Also the almost audible white noise during lower passages is not perfect, my feeling is that the well cooked Pink Faun here is better. During break in and more comparisons, this gap was significantly reduced, anyhow. The soundstage is expanded more in width than depth compared to the Pink Faun.

Comparing the MUON2 with the CAD II-R, the latter seems more veiled and less airy, even if it brings a lot of body and a black background. Very silent. I feel the weight of bass, like a muscular strength but it doesn’t make the music breathe enough. The impact of transients is clearly more pronounced. Maybe it is laid back and too much relaxed, in my particular system. Pretty dark and grey, so to speak. Voices are less lifelike, it sounds like clean, perfect and digital not engaging as I usually prefer. The soundstage is narrower and less deep than before. Unlike the GC1 Ground Control and the new USB Control, that I really love and have had a great impact in my chain, this CAD product unfortunately seems not working well in my room. I can’t always get what I want.
I also own other USB cables, like AQ Diamond or Intona Reference, that unfortunately don’t fit my system and personal tastes.
Plugging back the MUON2, each time I felt that the magic was back.

This cable is very light, compared to other cables, easy to manage behind the rack, even though not extremely flexible so it’s a better idea to avoid bending it too much. Spread the wires! Rob suggested to keep the 3 wires as separated/spread as possible. As soon as I managed to do like suggested I heard a subtle difference in clarity and well defined mid/high frequencies.
Connectors are well made, they fit perfectly without risks of loosing.

Burning in. Most part of my positive feedback started right out of the box. The manufacturer recommends to use it for 120 hours to achieve the right degree of performance. I left the streamer playing continuously and after 2 weeks I noticed more significant improvements.

I have decided to postpone the purchase of Sablon EVO and Omega cables, until Mark and Shunyata (or a farsighted dealer out there) will give me the chance to have a home audition. Each trusted audiophile (see customer) should have the right to try and listen to products in his own environment before buying one. Having said that, I need to say that I’m very impressed by the Sablon2020 Ethenernet cable so the EVO is still on my wish list.

I am convinced that people like Rob deserve my appreciation and my gratitude, for the sincerity and availability reserved for me. Rare commodity nowadays. For instance Rob suggested me not to buy the MUON Pro filter in my set up, due to the presence of the Innuos PhoenixNET that running at 100Mb/s is a bottle neck and doesn’t let the MUON Pro Ethernet system performing at its best. Really appreciated the honesty!

The MUON2 is here to stay, together with my reference Pink Faun. They could bring me joy for the coming winter evenings. Warming up my system and my soul.

Here below a simple chart, as my usual, to better describe “with numbers” the different characteristics I noticed playing with these 3 different toys. Needless to say that it works in my system, in my room and with my ears. Others might have different opinions, of course!

CABLEPINK FAUNCAD II-R MUON2
White noise/Hum888
Background898
Naturalness979
Image precision888
Soundstage depth878
Soundstage width878
Separation878
Voice879
Hights878
Bass899
Presence879
Transient799
Clarity878
Airy878
Detail888
Unveil768
Realism979
Calm788
Control788
Engagement879
Hi Luca,
Your comparison is truly inspiring. I've taken the liberty of sharing your chart here , and I've complemented it with a spider graph featuring your results on the Muon2. This representation should offer a clearer visual comparison of the three. I appreciate your openness in sharing your experiences, and I hope you don't mind me doing the same.

3USB_cables_SQ_compared.jpg
- - -

Last edited:
Reactions: Souldriver

luca.pelliccioli

Aug 20, 2022
Hi Di-fi, great graphic! Thanks for posting it, sharing our experiences can help a lot IMO and finding a ”standard” variables chart could be a clever idea. Please feel free to integrate my “quality parameters“ at your convenience. Thanks again, really appreciate.

Di-fi

Feb 17, 2021
Hi Di-fi, great graphic! Thanks for posting it, sharing our experiences can help a lot IMO and finding a ”standard” variables chart could be a clever idea. Please feel free to integrate my “quality parameters“ at your convenience. Thanks again, really appreciate.
My pleasure! MUON2 seems to outshine in almost every way. But, it's really up to the user to decide if that fits what they're looking for in a USB cable. Just picture how handy it could be for an audiophile to have charts like these bundled with each cable.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing