new 45rpm direct-to-disc---Dvorak Symphony No.9---he who hesitates...

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
weird.

turns out checking our credit card records, Presto actually fully refunded my credit card on November 24th, the same day i made the original order and made the original charge. and after that date, i received two notices that delivery would be delayed. and they have never responded to my request for a refund.

i'll keep watching things......

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
I have mixed feelings about this recording. The performance is quite good, so that’s good. But the quality of the pressing is disappointing for a modern day release, and even more so given the price. On my copy, the first movement has minor ticks, enough in the quiet passages to sound markedly inferior to some of my DG TOS recordings by comparison. The second movement is slightly worse, a lot of Rice Krispies going on there. Third is better than the previous two, and the fourth is about the same as the first, with a half dozen turns during the final crescendo where an annoying “pop” could be heard buried in the music. Ironically, the bonus disk on both sides sounds like the inside of a bank vault by comparison. If this represents the best they can do, I’m not sure I’d recommend it. For the cost I’d have expected this to be as quiet as I’ve found Kevin Gray’s Cohearent Audio disks to (generally) be.

Reactions: bonzo75

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I have mixed feelings about this recording. The performance is quite good, so that’s good. But the quality of the pressing is disappointing for a modern day release, and even more so given the price. On my copy, the first movement has minor ticks, enough in the quiet passages to sound markedly inferior to some of my DG TOS recordings by comparison. The second movement is slightly worse, a lot of Rice Krispies going on there. Third is better than the previous two, and the fourth is about the same as the first, with a half dozen turns during the final crescendo where an annoying “pop” could be heard buried in the music. Ironically, the bonus disk on both sides sounds like the inside of a bank vault by comparison. If this represents the best they can do, I’m not sure I’d recommend it.

Send it back?

tony22

Nov 4, 2019

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
I’ll send jpc.de an email. See what they say. If no replacement is available then I’ll keep what I’ve got. The performance and recording (not pressing) quality are both quite decent.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Never listened to Dvorak till last night. This album happened to be one I pulled out from my 99 cent used collection. I.like these Musical Heritage as sometimes they have a real good performance. This record is clean and plays well. I believe its all analog. Some are proud to say digitally mastered. Not this one.

Attachments

• 20240106_193746.jpg
    20240106_193746.jpg
    924.1 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: tima

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I’ll send jpc.de an email. See what they say. If no replacement is available then I’ll keep what I’ve got. The performance and recording (not pressing) quality are both quite decent.

As I type jpc says it is in stock. You dould buy another, then return the first, but you have to pay shipping.

Reactions: mxk116

adrianywu

Nov 15, 2021
I have mixed feelings about this recording. The performance is quite good, so that’s good. But the quality of the pressing is disappointing for a modern day release, and even more so given the price. On my copy, the first movement has minor ticks, enough in the quiet passages to sound markedly inferior to some of my DG TOS recordings by comparison. The second movement is slightly worse, a lot of Rice Krispies going on there. Third is better than the previous two, and the fourth is about the same as the first, with a half dozen turns during the final crescendo where an annoying “pop” could be heard buried in the music. Ironically, the bonus disk on both sides sounds like the inside of a bank vault by comparison. If this represents the best they can do, I’m not sure I’d recommend it. For the cost I’d have expected this to be as quiet as I’ve found Kevin Gray’s Cohearent Audio disks to (generally) be.
Very similar to my experience, sadly.

Reactions: bonzo75

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
Wow. I guess I’m lucky. My copy is dead quiet. As we have stated, the performance is really top notch. Hrusa and Bamberger Symphony have formed a great pairing! Hope those of you who got less than perfect copies can get things resolved. I really am enjoying these 45rpm releases from Accentus Music.

Reactions: cmchan

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
Wow. I guess I’m lucky. My copy is dead quiet. As we have stated, the performance is really top notch. Hrusa and Bamberger Symphony have formed a great pairing! Hope those of you who got less than perfect copies can get things resolved. I really am enjoying these 45rpm releases from Accentus Music.
What’s your copy number?

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
Last edited:
Reactions: tima

jbr7

May 19, 2020
I received notification today that the UK vendor shipped my order of this item. Upon receipt, it will be interesting to hear how it sounds, considering the diversity of opinion posted so far.

jbr7

May 19, 2020
Received my copy today, number 771 of 1893, and played it. Overall, the quality was reasonably good, with some exceptions. Side A was fine. Side B had noticeable surface noise but the compelling music mitigated that aspect in my listening. Sides C, D, E, and F were mostly good, with an occasional tick or brief bit of surface noise that did not deter my enjoyment of the performance. I had not heard this piece before and I liked it a lot.

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
I’m waiting for my replacement copy to arrive. Hopefully it will be less crunchy.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing