New APL DSD-MR Special Edition (SE)

rubinken

Jan 15, 2020
Olympia, WA, USA
Seems like creative Alex Peychev announced a new top-of-the-line Special Edition DSD. Apparently this is a 'step-up' from his DSD-MR MK2. From Facebook:

"We are very excited to announce the DSD-MR SE (Special Edition).
The SE is the final release for our reference DSD-MR model.
The DSD-MR SE is a major upgrade that brings you even closer to the music.
It offers a remarkable level of detail, realism and naturalness of the sound reproduction, comparable to studio reel-to-reel machines.
Here is a quote about the DSD-MR SE form an audiophile who used to have the DSD-MR MK1 and MK2 versions:
“This is not a DAC at all. Not only is everything clearer, which I didn't think was possible to this degree. But there's more bass, more treble and yet nothing is done to excess.
Congratulations on a stunning achievement. To make the music this much more transparent and remain natural seems to go against the laws of audio physics."

Has anyone here listened to the new SE? How does it compare to the MR MK2 or other DSD's?

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil
Mine is updated. So is the streamer DNP SR to the new version.
Waiting for them to be shipped from Bulgaria do Brazil.

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil
When I heard that Alex Peychev had created the new version of the DAC DSD-MR, which he called SE, I wondered how he could still improve something that was already spectacular. In contact with him, he assured me that the SE version was the definitive version of this DAC, which would certainly not get anything better in the future.
The curiosity was great, and knowing that my Streamer DNP-SR already had an MKII version, I had no doubts about sending both from Brazil to Bulgaria to be updated.
Last Monday I received the updated equipment. Soon I started the burn in, putting it to play with the amplifiers turned off.
After approximately 6 hours I decided to turn on the amplifiers, and my surprise was brutal. Although they still have characteristics of new equipment, still contained, I was surprised right away by the absolute silence behind the music. I have never experienced anything so quiet in my system. The music flowed naturally from this environment and every detail seemed to materialize in a precise and articulate way like never before.
The voices were different, as if they were more present and had more depth.
A few more hours of playing , and after 72 hours the surprise was even better.
The naturalness was perfect, everything seemed more alive, more real, more organic. The voices are well separated and precise.
It seems the room is fuller, the bass is better, more present and more articulate. What I already considered difficult to be surpassed, the MKII version, Alex Peychev achieved the almost impossible in equipment of this level: an improvement above the marginal and subtle, something that surpasses my understanding of what is possible at this level of equipment.
I recommend to anyone who has the MKII version to upgrade.

Reactions: Marinaldo F Silva
Nov 22, 2019
When I heard that Alex Peychev had created the new version of the DAC DSD-MR, which he called SE, I wondered how he could still improve something that was already spectacular. In contact with him, he assured me that the SE version was the definitive version of this DAC, which would certainly not get anything better in the future.
The curiosity was great, and knowing that my Streamer DNP-SR already had an MKII version, I had no doubts about sending both from Brazil to Bulgaria to be updated.
Last Monday I received the updated equipment. Soon I started the burn in, putting it to play with the amplifiers turned off.
After approximately 6 hours I decided to turn on the amplifiers, and my surprise was brutal. Although they still have characteristics of new equipment, still contained, I was surprised right away by the absolute silence behind the music. I have never experienced anything so quiet in my system. The music flowed naturally from this environment and every detail seemed to materialize in a precise and articulate way like never before.
The naturalness was perfect, everything seemed more alive, more real, more organic. The voices are well separated and precise.
It seems the room is fuller, the bass is better, more present and more articulate. What I already considered difficult to be surpassed, the MKII version, Alex Peychev achieved the almost impossible in equipment of this level: an improvement above the marginal and subtle, something that surpasses my understanding of what is possible at this level of equipment.
Congratulations João
I don't know how he managed to improve that either, and look how yours plays DSD516.
I can't upload mine to upgrade and I can't hear my system here.
Once again congratulations to you and Alex.

Reactions: joaovieira

Tao201

Feb 21, 2020
Hi
How do you compare APL MR SE with CH Dac ?

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil
Hi
It’s CH precision
I got it. I never heard it.

But I would bet that you would like APL SE more than any one. Because of the natural sound you get, for me the one that more comes close to analog.
Alex voices his creations based on TT sound. Now he has a TechDAS for that.

leszek

Aug 25, 2018
I also after having a few nice dacs like:Asthetics Pandora,Ayon s10 signature,Bricasti M1SE,
Dcs Rossini,Gryphon Kalliope have ended with the DSD-MR SE.
I am very happy with my end dac:).

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing