New user: SA 7.1 question

zneret

Dec 18, 2018
New user here. I have a SA 7.1 (powering 2 SA-12s UG'd to NP-220s).

I am bringing the SA 7.1 back into usage. It was owned since new (over 30 years). Asking this question as it is not a straight, stock SA-7.1.

Around 25 years ago, I sent it in to Counterpoint for a rework where they may have UG'd it to a SA-1000 circuit (I don't remember but I do know the line stage was reduced to just a 6DJ8 tube from two va means of a plug-into-the-two-6DJ8-socket circuit board). I didn't use it due to a change in life until 11 years later when I powered it up and found the amp was dead and didn't feel I needed to pay Alta Vista quite a bit to further UG it.

Earlier this year, I opened up the amp and found that there was a leaking capacitor (which some shop failed to notice). Replaced it (C302 or C301 - it's for the line stage) and it's working. Now I want to get a new turntable (found my old LPs).

Question is, the SA-1000 has a setting for MC or MM cartridge usage. Does such an option exist on this UG'd SA-7.1 or normal 7.1s??

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing