New woofers for kef 104-2

samgar

Jun 3, 2013
Midlothian, VA
The woofers in my older pair of Kef 104-2 speakers need to have the center foam replaced. I would prefer to buy new woofers. Does anyone know if they are available, andf if not, do you know a company which would be good at rebuilding them. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Sam:D

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The woofers in my older pair of Kef 104-2 speakers need to have the center foam replaced. I would prefer to buy new woofers. Does anyone know if they are available, andf if not, do you know a company which would be good at rebuilding them. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Getting new woofers will be very difficult, and even if you get good vintage replacements they will probably suffer from foam rot soon. I had a pair repaired long ago and the guy did a perfect job - although I measured the 4 speakers for distortion after repair and one of them had to be re-foamed again, as it was slightly off-center.

As the cone and cap are of plastic like material, I did not allow the technician who carried the job to cut out the cap and use a centering foil while gluing the surround - the easiest and more frequent technique. IMHO it can be acceptable for low bass speakers, but not to midrange ones.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Is KEF no longer supporting these speakers?

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I would assume KEF support those, since I understand they have an in-house production site.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Is KEF no longer supporting these speakers?

Most of the time the price for a set of replacement units is more than what are the speakers worth. Re-foaming the four units should be less than the cost of each unit if available. I once read that manufacturers usually price their replacements at a high price to avoid that DIY people buy them to built copies ...

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com

Thanks,
AFAIK, none of these KEF units had foam surrounds but, rather, synthetic rubber surrounds.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
AFAIK, none of these KEF units had foam surrounds but, rather, synthetic rubber surrounds.

Kal,
Now you talk, I remember - I replaced the foams of the internal woofers, not the midranges that have synthetic rubber surrounds - it was a lot of work to take them out because of the coupling bar!

A little adverting coming from my records - I always get the surrounds from this company in Holland - excellent quality and service:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Speaker-Repair-Kit-KEF-RR104-2-RR105-3-Very-Flexible-THE-RIGHT-ONE-/360478258511?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Speaker_Parts&hash=item53ee2db54f

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing