Nottingham Ace Spacedeck

Chrisl

May 1, 2016
I'm finally about to get reimbursed for damage to some of my audio components that got totaled out after our house fire last Oct. (still waiting on Insurance and permits in Portland if you can believe that!) They damaged my Lyra Dorian needle. My setup is a Nottingham Ace Spacedeck with a Rega RB300 arm,, the Lyra Dorian, and Gold Note PH10. No Gold note power supply or SUT. The system always sounded a bit dull/not dynamic that I attributed to not having a SUT.

So I'm looking for suggestions on how to improve this system? Obv. I need a new needle. Would a better arm or SUT be a consideration..or should I sell the Nottingham for something better? I'm flexible about budget. Thanks for any help!

I previously owned a Dorian and it was anything but “dull/not dynamic”. It actually was a little hot and almost too bright. That setup was into an older VAC preamp with internal SUTs for its MC function. I also have a close friend with the Gold Note PH10 and low output cartridges that perform well. The RB300 was a solid arm but there have been better produced over the years. Possibly a new arm with increased adjustability to ensure you have the VTA and azimuth fine tuned. I moved from the RB300 to Origin Live arms. A Lyra Delos might be a good step up from the Dorian if you want to stay with Lyra. Other possibilities could include the Hana cartridges.

If you want to keep your RB 300, I would recommend a good MM cartridge. e.g. Ortofon 2black Beethoven sounds pretty well with Rega tonearm. For a Delos you need a stable, heavy tonearm to develop the full potential, otherwise you will be disappointed. With light tonearms like the Rega 11 gram (mass) , the sound can quickly become disembodied and thin.
The Ortofon Beethoven have punch in the bass, bodyful amazing midrange it s a lot fun listen with it your Lp's. i promise you.

P.S I call it a perfect match like vdh frog with sme 309(exsample)

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the replies guys, I really appreciate it. Yeah, the RB300 is a pia/near impossible to get the proper VTA and is terribly lightweight. But I always attributed the rather un exiciting sound to not having a strong enough signal...hence why I was thinking about adding a SUT. Thanks again for the help!

Anyone? I guess this isn't "High End" enough lol

I'm flexible about budget

Not in the slightest , however your comment regarding budget wasn’t particularily helpful in that there are dozens of recomendations that folks might make , ranging from $10K to $200K .

I would recommend that you have a think , and come up with a possible path that you might like to take e.g , Idler , DD , Belt , MM , MI , MC , preferences , requirements . And at least a ball park upper limit to the sum that you would be prepared to go to … You need to give folks a little more to work with here Chris.

Reactions: Chrisl
Thank you so much for the replies guys, I really appreciate it. Yeah, the RB300 is a pia/near impossible to get the proper VTA and is terribly lightweight. But I always attributed the rather un exiciting sound to not having a strong enough signal...hence why I was thinking about adding a SUT. Thanks again for the help!
Easy to do you only need 24mm hole in the tonearm base, then adjust the VTA with the speed nut then fix it with the lock nut underside of the base. done in a minute.
Exsample drill

Reactions: Chrisl
Not in the slightest , however your comment regarding budget wasn’t particularily helpful in that there are dozens of recomendations that folks might make , ranging from $10K to $200K .

I would recommend that you have a think , and come up with a possible path that you might like to take e.g , Idler , DD , Belt , MM , MI , MC , preferences , requirements . And at least a ball park upper limit to the sum that you would be prepared to go to … You need to give folks a little more to work with here Chris.
Very good points Argonaut ;) I'm thinking a budget of 5-6k for a new needle and sut. That leaves me a bit to add the Gold Note power supply for the PH10. I want to continue using a MC. Another option would be no sut and instead buy a new arm...keeping the same budget incl. a needle. I'm not set on any brand...the Lyra Dorian came with the table that I bought used.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu