On The Record: An Audio Professional’s Take on Vinyl

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Here's what I continue to chuckle about in terms of digital vs. analog (vinyl) - We all here at WBF have heard stellar records on great vinyl playback sources and the same for digital, so we know the amazing sonic capabilities of the format and the equipment, so, unless you are opting for the best of the best recording and system you can be confident that either can provide optimal quality sound. And, you can tune your source to your sonic preference, so why the debate other than for those with extreme budgets where the minute differences to achieve the ultimate sonic level may matter?

For me - I contemplate going back to adding a vinyl source primarily because there's so much excellent older music that's remastered on vinyl that's not remastered on digital. So it's more about requiring the source vehicle to enable significantly more great old jazz playback.

Last edited:

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Recording does not capture an objective reality any more than a photograph would. Although this might seem controversial ...

Silly me - I looked at this thread again. This time the opening struck me as odd. On the one hand, the sound of live music that acts on or is received by a microphone is generally accepted as "objective reality" - as input it comes from outside our (or the microphone's) sense mechanisms. On the other hand does anything "capture" objective reality? What would it mean to do that? Identity? Indistinquishability? I take the opening as a straw dog meant to lay the groundwork for the notion that an analog recording is somehow 'artificial'. We already know that in the best imagination digital is artificial as it asymptotically approaches analog but is never identical to it.

And it is no great revelation to claim that reprouction is not reality - whatever that means.

The rest comes across as a canned apologism for digital. I strikes me that those who like and champion digital frequently feel like they are defending the technology. I don't understand why the need to do that is there. Does it need defending? What motivated Michael Connolly to write what he did?

I believe it was Ralph Karsten (@Atmasphere) who once argued that in the advance of technologies, historically the succeeding technology replaces the preceding, it overthrows it. That has not yet happened in the audiophile world. (The digitally preferenced may be inclined to add: 'yet'.) Nonetheless, audio companies who never made turntables are making them - presumably believing they can pariticipate in the market for turntables.

I struggled to figure Connolly's main point? Maybe it was this:
While distortion in analog systems is unavoidable, with digital systems distortion becomes an aesthetic choice which can be added as desired.

I don't know if this is true or not - I've read arguments going both ways. Maybe it's a debating point - but the debate is silly. (Of course in audiophile world sometimes debating is the point - but it's still silly.)

An "audiophile" - from the Greek derivation - is someone who loves sound. Talking about distortion is talking about sound not talking about music. If distortion means "the output is different from the input" then there is a sense where music making itself is pure distortion. The trumpet player inputs air to his horn and out comes a note. The violinist inputs bow movemen on strings and out comes a note.

Perhaps there are some actually drawn to this hobby because they like sound. The audiophiles I know come to it because they like music. How one chooses to play music is unrelated to the reason why they are playing music.

Rensselaer

VIP/Donor
Mar 23, 2021
Tima, you comments come across (IMHO) in a clear, succinct, logical manner without emotive overtones which conveys both knowledge of the truth and kindness in the delivery (very convincing).

Reactions: PeterA and tima

Rensselaer

VIP/Donor
Mar 23, 2021
A large number of modern digital recordings today see analog processing in mastering so there will have been one or more 'round trips' from D/A/D...changing them too :)
And I can always discern which LPs were recorded in a purely analogue process from those that were made using a digital source or processing.

One is a recording of “actual sound“ (music); whereas the other is a recording of “measurements“ taken of discrete “moments” during the sound event, which, using a DAC, are then converted back into audible tones. Each tone, of course, representing only what was “measured“ at those specific measuring points (sampling rate).

Granted, developments in the art of “digital” recording have reduced a lot of the jitter and ultrasonic distortion associated with the early days of digital conversion, same larger bytes (greater amount of measurements) and greater playback speed (blurs the distinction between individual measurements) so that a reasonable approximation of the sound of the real recorded event occurs, but still with easily discerned differences to analogue recordings of the same music.

My issue is why dilute analogue vinyl with digitally recoded material? If I wanted digital versions I would buy digital playback gear and order it from Spotify or what have you. Vinyl gives clicks and pops sometimes but that is not why we buy it! Putting digital on vinyl is the worst of both worlds (recording/media storage).

I get it, recording companies have the rights to unknown music in digital memory, they see certain audiophiles continue to buy LPs so they cut a LP from a CD that they own the rights to expecting more profit. F-n marvellous.

Last edited:

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
On the one hand, the sound of live music that acts on or is received by a microphone is generally accepted as "objective reality"
That might be where things come apart. The mic placement is based on the engineer's experience and taste. Its very subjective!

At the same time, the mic is our only conduit to the musical experience. Its all subjective- I hope you enjoy it ! ;)

Reactions: Carlos269

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
That might be where things come apart. The mic placement is based on the engineer's experience and taste. Its very subjective!

At the same time, the mic is our only conduit to the musical experience. Its all subjective- I hope you enjoy it ! ;)

Yes the engineer places microphones though that does not make the object of the recording subjective

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
Yes the engineer places microphones though that does not make the object of the recording subjective
The object? Do you mean the performance? If so, I have to agree.

But capturing the sound is a bit of tinkering with mics. You don't like how the cymbals or snare sounds so you move the mics a bit... That aspect is as subjective as it gets.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
The object? Do you mean the performance? If so, I have to agree.

But capturing the sound is a bit of tinkering with mics. You don't like how the cymbals or snare sounds so you move the mics a bit... That aspect is as subjective as it gets.

Yes the performance. Different mic positions might be a result of what an engineer hears but he is not the cause of the sound he records - that exists apart from him. What a microphone receives at coordinates X versus coordinates Y is not subjective - that would be a result of room context with its sonic contents and perhaps microphone design. My point is to Connolly who started his message saying that a recording does not capture objective reality.

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
My point is to Connolly who started his message saying that a recording does not capture objective reality.
I agree with that statement, as simple as it is without context.

Nevertheless if a person is knowledgeable and careful they can use a pair of good quality mics and make a spectacular recording. Once it exists, to reproduce what is stored in the media becomes the challenge. We all hope that the label has done its job to get the media safely to us and that the recording has some of the merit we hope for :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing