Onzow Zerodust case is really solved?

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Stylus cleaning evolved to a worrying state by the story of residue left on the stylus using Onzow Zerodust. The article on Anolog Planet by M. Fremer based on pictures provided by @J.R. Boisclair didn’t directly accuse but implied Zerodust as the culprit. A New article is shared on Tracking Angle website. Now it’s solved and you know what there is nothing we need to worry about as long as we follow the “updated” instructions. Which is basically the same instructions other than changing Zerodust every three years.

Now the whole story sounds like a joke, first alarming everyone then implying that it’s just the deterioration of Zerodust. I wonder if @TrackingAngle has any further information or an explanation for this storm in a tea cup.

- Couldn’t you figure out deterioration causing this in the first place?
- What is the residue? Is it proven those are Zerodust particles?
- Are you sure Zerodust never leaves a residue if it’s not deteriorated or used as instructed?
- Are there any other factors helping residue to collect on stylus?
- Are you sure that it’s not related with dirty records? Is it proven?

I don’t know if those questions will ever be answered or not but I feel like the whole story is not told. Please read the articles if you haven't already and share what do you think.

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Thank you for posting this mtemur. I tried the Zerodust years ago. I remember instructions that said wash with water and a drop of mild dish soap or some mild cleaner. There is now no mention of that in the "new article". I have eight cartridges and none have touched the Zerodust pad. I threw it away and will not replace it.

Tangram

Nov 10, 2022
Convenient that you need to buy a new one every three years. What if it’s brand new, sitting in its box for three years? Do you need to replace it?

I have one but, like others, stopped using it when the scandal broke. I now use a HiFi Sonic cleaner that seemed to work well for four months but is now in for repair/replacement.

Reactions: Croc999 and mtemur

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
I didn’t throw away zerodust but I’m using alternative methods since then. The strange thing that draw my attention is first alarming then saying zerodust is ok as long as instructions are followed.

Three quid

Sep 30, 2019
Convenient that you need to buy a new one every three years. What if it’s brand new, sitting in its box for three years? Do you need to replace it?

I have one but, like others, stopped using it when the scandal broke. I now use a HiFi Sonic cleaner that seemed to work well for four months but is now in for repair/replacement.
Yes, that’s what I got out of the new instructions. It suggests that the material deteriorates over time and is accelerated with higher temperatures. These two findings imply that it should have an expiration date before and after opening.

Reactions: mtemur

Republicoftexas69

As inexpensive as these things are what’s the big bipedal replacing every 3 years? I prefer gently brushing with a carbon stylus brush.

mulveling

Jul 6, 2017
This doesn't solve anything. While I remain unconvinced the Zerodust material itself is to blame, I also posit that it's not nearly effective enough to be the ONLY tool in your cleaning kit, or even a primary tool. I'm not surprised that people who use only Zerodust would have styli which look like crap under magnification. You need more cleaning power to keep it tip-top.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
I still use the ZD occasionally. I also wash it monthly in distilled water. I’ve had it for two years - no problems thus far. However, I also use the ST-50, Lyra, and even the Mr. Clean Bars. All seem to be effective. I tend to use the ST-50 and Mr Clean the most. Our vinyl is happy!

Reactions: mtemur

Tangram

Nov 10, 2022
I permanently retired my Zerodust. Mine wasn’t three years old, and was effectively kept in a windowless closet. Yet, a residue (easily seen with a cheap USB microscope)built up on my stylus after repeated use that I simply could not remove, using a number of techniques.

I’m sticking with sonic (not ultrasonic) cleaning with a drop of stylus cleaning fluid. RIP Zerodust.

mulveling

Jul 6, 2017
I permanently retired my Zerodust. Mine wasn’t three years old, and was effectively kept in a windowless closet. Yet, a residue (easily seen with a cheap USB microscope)built up on my stylus after repeated use that I simply could not remove, using a number of techniques.

I’m sticking with sonic (not ultrasonic) cleaning with a drop of stylus cleaning fluid. RIP Zerodust.
That's really my main question, which has no decisive answer yet. Is the residue build-up from the ZD itself shedding its material, or is it from other sources (e.g. the vinyl records) which then fails to be properly cleared up by the ZD (lack of cleaning power)? In either case, I suspect a ZD used in combination with Magic Eraser would not show this buildup - which of course still leads back to: why use the ZD at all?

Three quid

Sep 30, 2019
If the build-up wasn’t the zero dust material itself, then you’d see the same type of residue from other forms of ineffective cleaning. Has this type of residue ever been reported from non-zero dust users?

emoonie

VIP/Donor
Aug 16, 2021
Monterey CA
If heat is the culprit I find the last comment most telling (don't know if it's proper to cut and paste this but here goes):
"Equally important than expired Zerodust is using it right after a play. The heat on the stylus, much like the brakes on one's vehicle being used hard, will contaminate the stylus as fast as any expired product through the transfer of heat."
In addition that generated heat is sinked into a very small point of contact being much more likely to compromise the surface there. Just my 2 cents.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
For my Etna Lambda, I just use the included brush and solution.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing