Pass Labs X600.8s

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
I’ve been very satisfied with our Pass X260.8s. However, after the demo of the EMM MTRX2s I determined I definitely need more power. Everything was better. But EMM never gave me the Class A power that they were delivering.… :(

The EMM isn’t within budget right now (saving the budget for the new room and equipment at which time I’ll be considering Gryphon as well), so I’m considering some Pass X600.8 monos to go with my present system. They will deliver more bass and are a good match with our Magico M3s. The 600s offer 100w of Class A into a 4 ohm speaker. Since my needles don’t move in my current set up (so it’s not in AB) the extra Class A power will be more than enough. And if not with 4 ohm speakers there’s 1200 w of power.

This said, is there another set of “monos“ you would suggest? They need to be SS, powerful. I’d like to spend no more the 17K + the trade in of the 260s.

Here’s a reminder of what I presently own:

7638F5E8-EFE9-44C8-8908-3636D7A7F137.jpeg

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I’ve been very satisfied with our Pass X260.8s. However, after the demo of the EMM MTRX2s I determined I definitely need more power. Everything was better. But EMM never gave me the Class A power that they were delivering.… :(

The EMM isn’t within budget right now (saving the budget for the new room and equipment at which time I’ll be considering Gryphon as well), so I’m considering some Pass X600.8 monos to go with my present system. They will deliver more bass and are a good match with our Magico M3s. The 600s offer 100w of Class A into a 4 ohm speaker. Since my needles don’t move in my current set up (so it’s not in AB) the extra Class A power will be more than enough. And if not with 4 ohm speakers there’s 1200 w of power.

This said, is there another set of “monos“ you would suggest? They need to be SS, powerful. I’d like to spend no more the 17K + the trade in of the 260s.

Here’s a reminder of what I presently own:

View attachment 95365

Thanks in advance.
I would try the Parasound JC-1+, they make stunning monos for a very reasonable price. It should be possible to fit them into this budget.

Reactions: GSOphile and Audire

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
I would try the Parasound JC-1+, they make stunning monos for a very reasonable price. It should be possible to fit them into this budget.

Many thanks. I’ll research them.

I’m also researching BAT VK-655SE Monos.

Reactions: AMR / iFi audio

Jpspock

Dec 26, 2018
If you like Pass, and as it seems you like Gryphon. Try to find Pass xa160.5 or 8.

Reactions: Audire

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
If you like Pass, and as it seems you like Gryphon. Try to find Pass xa160.5 or 8.

Thanks but they will run too hot in my room. I live in the FL panhandle and so temperatures get rather uncomfortable this time of year. I think the 600s will be about as much heat as I could stand. They run about twice as hot as my 260s.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I love my Pass 600.5 amps. Whether playing classical in the 70db range or metal in the 80-90db range they sound great. Plus they never get out of Class A.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
I love my Pass 600.5 amps. Whether playing classical in the 70db range or metal in the 80-90db range they sound great. Plus they never get out of Class A.

Thanks. That’s good to hear. I play jazz, female vocals, and soft rock, so I think I won’t have any Class A problems. The 26so sound great, but the 600s I think will deliver the goods.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Kent English stated this a while ago to me:

My personal take on the X600.8's would be that they are very much X260.8 on steroids. What they bring to the table potentially is a greater sense of dynamic scale, which you would expect with all that additional wattage. The added Class A output capability, which is available from the X600.8 seems to bring out a little more weight and authority in the lower registers. If you have the space and budget, the X600.8 to my ears are a nice improvement over the X260.8.

analyzer

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2016
Torino - Italy
An out-of-choir voice: give a try to Coda Technologies. U.S. made. The last models have surprised me in overall sound quality and personally I preferred their model n.8 (V3 version, 400 Watts per Channel) versus Spectral 250/260, Vitus 100 and Pass x.250.8. Best than pass not by a large margin in any case significant to my ears especially in bass region and overall intelligibility.
N.8 it's not their flagship, Coda produces also two monos, n.61 are their best model but are obviously not cheap (almost 35 k for a pair).
If you consider a stereo amp their flagship stereo n.41 (also rated at 400 w/8 ohm) maybe a good choice (about 16 k).
Just my two cents
Marco

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
An out-of-choir voice: give a try to Coda Technologies. U.S. made. The last models have surprised me in overall sound quality and personally I preferred their model n.8 (V3 version, 400 Watts per Channel) versus Spectral 250/260, Vitus 100 and Pass x.250.8. Best than pass not by a large margin in any case significant to my ears especially in bass region and overall intelligibility.
N.8 it's not their flagship, Coda produces also two monos, n.61 are their best model but are obviously not cheap (almost 35 k for a pair).
If you consider a stereo amp their flagship stereo n.41 (also rated at 400 w/8 ohm) maybe a good choice (about 16 k).
Just my two cents
Marco
Thanks. Interesting! I’ll check these out.

Last edited:

TDX

Jan 14, 2020
I owned and loved my 260.8. But if you are seeking upgrade or try something else, you can have a look Pilium. They have stereo and monos. It will pair nicely with your M3.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
I owned and loved my 260.8. But if you are seeking upgrade or try something else, you can have a look Pilium. They have stereo and monos. It will pair nicely with your M3.

Many thanks. Yes that would be a consideration for our new room, but I didn’t think a set of Pilium monos is in the budget at this time. Pilium and Gryphon are on the list to eval for the new room, where there will likely even be some new speakers as well.

Daniel M

Oct 7, 2020
I’m surprised you think you need more power - if the 260.8s never leave Class A seems like you have plenty now.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing