Platter mass diminishing return

leyenda

Mar 2, 2011
Is there a point of diminishing return with regards to platter mass? I understand that such point does exist with designs that has bearing, but does such point exist in air bearing designs? As one goes up the product line, platter mass increases. Micro air bearing models have platter mass that goes up from 16kg (5000 air) to 28kg (SX8000). TechDas from 6.7kg (AF5) to 19kg (AF1) to 100kg+ (AF0). American Sound at around 68kg while Vyger is at 16kg.

IMHO higher mass platter is better if it’s well made. Certainly platter mass isn’t the only factor on final sound. 20kg is a good optimum point IMHO. BTW Techdas AF1P has 25kg, AF3P has 29kg platters.

There are also the issues of motor and type of connection. How do you get a massive platter up to speed? Internal resonances? Too lively, too damped? Material? Lots of issues that go along with different mass. Also shape and how the weight is distributed. Finally, how practical is it to manufacture and install. Great topic and I would love to hear from the designers, but I suspect they all have their reasons and will likely not share them.

Reactions: Lagonda
Here is a quote from Horning Hybrids description of their Sati turntable.
"In the development of the Sati record player we stated out with different platters with different weight going from 10 kg to 25 kg weight and ended up with 50 kg. The sound performance from 10 to 25 kg was easy to hear and the absolute version stopped with the 50 kg version we tested also a 75 kg version sound quality but it did not made any improvement over the 50 kg we went up with."
One manufacturers claim anyway. :)

"In the development of the Sati record player we stated out with different platters with different weight going from 10 kg to 25 kg weight and ended up with 50 kg. The sound performance from 10 to 25 kg was easy to hear and the absolute version stopped with the 50 kg version we tested also a 75 kg version sound quality but it did not made any improvement over the 50 kg we went up with."

Milan, thank you for posting that link. It was an interesting read. One of the claims in the article caught my attention.

“The Sati with massive GROUNDED bearing design went deeper in the bas, had much more body and all decays been easier to hear. All the Exotic bearings design just sounded THINNER, lighter and brighter.”

I directly compared the American Sound AS1000 to The Absolute Nothing turntable. The former had better weight, body and mass than any turntable I had heard before, and the ladder improved on those qualities by quite a bit. I’m not sure I would describe the bearing as exotic, but it is not grounded in the sense that the Sati turntable is. In other words, my experience has been just the opposite of what is written in that quote. There are many factors at play, but one of them is the platter mass.

There is an ease, a rightness, and an impressive amount of information in these American turntables. There is a very low noise floor. I think a large part of that is not having a grounded bearing with contact.

It just shows that there are successful different approaches to the problem. Anyway, thanks again for posting the link to the interesting article.

Reactions: leyenda
Milan, thank you for posting that link. It was an interesting read. One of the claims in the article caught my attention.

“The Sati with massive GROUNDED bearing design went deeper in the bas, had much more body and all decays been easier to hear. All the Exotic bearings design just sounded THINNER, lighter and brighter.”

I directly compared the American Sound AS1000 to The Absolute Nothing turntable. The former had better weight, body and mass than any turntable I had heard before, and the ladder improved on those qualities by quite a bit. I’m not sure I would describe the bearing as exotic, but it is not grounded in the sense that the Sati turntable is. In other words, my experience has been just the opposite of what is written in that quote. There are many factors at play, but one of them is the platter mass.

There is an ease, a rightness, and an impressive amount of information in these American turntables. There is a very low noise floor. I think a large part of that is not having a grounded bearing with contact.

It just shows that there are successful different approaches to the problem. Anyway, thanks again for posting the link to the interesting article.
I have not heard the Sati. The best sounding turntables i have heard where air-bearing and maybe the limitations of the "grounded" bearing is why he prefers a 50 kg platter. To bad Bill is no longer posting here, he had both a VYGER and a Sati, his opinion would have been interesting. :confused:

Reactions: PeterA
I have not heard the Sati. The best sounding turntables i have heard where air-bearing and maybe the limitations of the "grounded" bearing is why he prefers a 50 kg platter. To bad Bill is no longer posting here, he had both a VYGER and a Sati, his opinion would have been interesting. :confused:

I suspect with a conventional loaded bearing, one reaches a point where platter mass starts to become a problem with noise and friction. Then you have to try to figure out how to damp the vibrations, and that may cause other problems for the sound.

Yes, audio file. Bill was a wonderful contributor to the forum. I hope he is doing well.

Reactions: mtemur and Lagonda
About platter weight and grounded vs airbearing, I think we can learn something from the Kuzma XL DC Air airbearing vs the non-airbearing version. In addition to the airbearing, the Air model also has a 44kg platter vs the 22kg one in the non airbearing version.

While I didn’t have the chance to audition the two versions side by side, I had the chance to audition the Kuzma XL DC Air in the recent Munich show, pairing with the Safir tonearm and Car 60 cartridge. My friend had the XL DC non-air, also with the Safir but matched with the Audio Technica AT MC2022.

Yes, other than the TTs in question and the pairing tonearm, everything else in the two systems was different. However, my impression was that the Air version had a considerably blacker background, and the flow of the music was much better. Of course, I can’t say how much of the difference was from the TT, but there is no doubt in my mind the Air is a better TT, at least to my ears!

Last edited:

The vyger is sonically in much higher leagues compared to Sati.

Reactions: leyenda
I read Horning Hybrid’s approach from the link you shared. It’s strange that Verdier is left out under magnetically levitated platters and same goes for Micro Seiki under air bearings.

Reactions: PeterA
I read Horning Hybrid’s approach from the link you shared. It’s strange that Verdier is left out under magnetically levitated platters and same goes for Micro Seiki under air bearings.
And plenty of bad spelling in the piece too, he is not the ultimate expert on everything ;) But he presents his experience with platter weight and his TT is regarded positively.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing