Project Primary E turntable slightly distorted

jotavinyl

Jan 18, 2024
Madrid, Spain
Hi!!

I recently got a ProJect Primary E, which has got very nice reviews for the entrly level segment.

Question is: I hear the sound a bit distorted. In fact I returned a first Primary E in which the distortion was unbearable: it made the turntable directly not usable.

Two days later I received a second one: the distortion level is by no means that of the first one, but I've got quite a trained ear (I am a drummer, piano player, bass player and producer) and I notice a slight distortion in the left channel at times...

Is it related with the stylus? It comes bundled with an Ortofon OM NN, which I think is low-end entry level as well. Perhaps an Ortofon Pro-S would improve?

Or could be that the turntable is delivering too hot a signal to the amplifier?

I am using the MM position in the amplifier PHONO input (a Sansui A-60), see attached. Is that correct?

Attachments

• 1705605793002.jpg
    1705605793002.jpg
    405.3 KB · Views: 3

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Could be anything but stylus looks more like the culprit here. I recommend trying a better cartridge. Swapping amplifier (phono) also worths considering.

Reactions: jotavinyl

jotavinyl

Jan 18, 2024
Madrid, Spain
Could be anything but stylus looks more like the culprit here. I recommend trying a better cartridge. Swapping amplifier (phono) also worths considering.
Thanks for your reply. The turntable mounts an Ortofon NN, as shown in the attached box picture. Would you recommend changing the stylus only or the full cartridge, as I seem to read? In such case....which cartridge would you recommend for this Primary E model?

Regards...

Attachments

• 1705851888559.jpg
    1705851888559.jpg
    624.9 KB · Views: 4

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Thanks for your reply. The turntable mounts an Ortofon NN, as shown in the attached box picture. Would you recommend changing the stylus only or the full cartridge, as I seem to read? In such case....which cartridge would you recommend for this Primary E model?

Regards...
I recommend changing stylus first cause it’s removable. If it doesn’t solve the problem changing cartridge and checking tonearm’s side force seems like a good idea.

Reactions: jotavinyl

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Which stylus would you recommend then?

Thanks for a reply...
To try a new example of the same stylus will help to identify the problem but IOT achieve better details with lower distortion MicroRidge or equivalent would be my recommendation. I hope this helps.

jotavinyl

Jan 18, 2024
Madrid, Spain
To try a new example of the same stylus will help to identify the problem but IOT achieve better details with lower distortion MicroRidge or equivalent would be my recommendation. I hope this helps.
MicroRidge stylus? Perhaps could you point which Ortofon OM compatible mounts these styli?

Regards....

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing