Prosumer Reel to Reel Decks

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
It's clear that the quality of the tape heads, transport mechanism and electronics (sound like a turntable?) affect the sound of a reel to reel machine. Many of us not lucky enough to have the room or technical expertise to own a full blown studio machine, have instead opted to go with a commercial prosumer machines eg. Technics, Otari, Tandberg, Revox, etc. That said, the weak link for most prosumer machines still is these prosumer machine's electronics.

How many of you out there have modded your machines to run direct out and bypassed the stock electronics? What were the differences between the stock and modded unit?

I've bypassed mine and currently use either a Bottlehead Repro tube tape preamp (had a Seduction originally) or a newly acquired King/Cello tape solid-state preamplifier (I know my tube friends will I've gone off the deep end) that I'll have more to say about in the new audio review section. I've not compared the original deck vs outboard electronics but I've been lucky enough to compare the three tape preamplifiers electronics (that were as best as possible electrically matched to the Technics heads). I've also been lucky enough thanks to two tape head friends, to compare two different Nortronic heads (matched to the King/Cello) since they plug directly into the same board as the stock heads.

What's amazing is just how much information there is on these 15 ips tapes, whether they be dubs, master tapes, or the 11/2 gen tapes from the tape project (sounds like turntables here huh?). Better dynamics, increased transparency, greater low frequency extension, more resolution of low level info and spatial information all are differences between the different heads or electronics.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Interesting news about the new ORG vinyl recordings and what Bernie has done to his playback system:

Bernie Grundman's Updated Mastering System:
New customized dual mono power supplies
New tape pre-amplifier: an upgraded hybrid design with single-ended in-out that is specifically triode on the input for the gain and EQ and feeds into a discreet solid state circuit that drives the output
Brand new tape heads for the Studer playback tape machine including a complete hardwire with Cardas cables
The power supplies on tube cutter amps have been updated and rewired with Cardas cable on the head leads and feedback
The Studer in Bernie's cutting room is essentially transport only i.e. it is used for the superb stability of its mechanical parts. All the electronics (from the tape heads through to the cutting head on the lathe) have now been totally customized and hard-wired point to point
The tube cutting amps used for the ORG LP reissues have just been re-tubed with ex-US military grade tubes from Sylvania

I don't know if this is the reason but the new ORG 45 rpm Impulse/Verve reissues are the best thing I've heard from him!

Phil_in_CA

Apr 25, 2010
I did mod my RS-1500 for direct out to a Seduction, but found the Seduction veiled and lacking high end... I think something is wrong with my Seduction, but don't know what. Meanwhile, I undid the direct out mod and rewired the heads back to the original internal electronics until I can figure out what is up with the Seduction. Your thoughts? I am planning on putting the signal generator and meters and scope on it, but haven't been willing to devote the time. I would rather listen to tape!!! ahhhh

Phil

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing