PSI Audio AVAA C20 Active Bass Absorber

ecwl

Mar 20, 2021
Winnipeg, Canada
I'm thinking about ordering a fourth AVAA.o_O
Your post on frequency response inspired me to re-look at the frequency response at my listening position and then look at my living room and see where I can put bass traps and what type of bass traps would fit. And then I measured the frequency response of where I might want to put the bass traps to see if the traps would actually reduce the bass peaks and resonance at my listening position.
Since your original post, I’ve put in 4 passive bass traps, some broadband and others tuned traps to absorb the bass and every time I get a clear audible improvement. Most importantly, wherever I measure that seems to have the most corresponding bass peaks and resonances is the position where the appropriately chosen bass trap would work the best.
I have one corner left where I don’t have space to put in a large passive trap so I already have an AAVA C214 on order to be placed there. I’m looking forward to its arrival.

ecwl

Mar 20, 2021
Winnipeg, Canada
I just noticed this:

In addition to the Magico M7 & Titan, there are two PSI AVAA C214 at the corners.

Popspin

Apr 28, 2015
My AVAA C20 journey has continued.
I think I’ve maxed out. That’s a good thing.
When I last posted I was using the C20’s in the four corners of my listening space. I’ve had a demo unit for an extended period of time so when my 4th one arrived I moved the demo unit from a rear corner and stacked it on top of a front corner C20. Between a pair of Sonus faber towers and JL Gothams, there is a huge amount of low frequency presence up front. The side with the stacked C20’s was clearly more effective than the side with a single C20. The usual benefits of cleaner, clearer more impactful bass and cleaner, more natural mids.
The height of the stacked AVAA’s are closer to the height of the subs, maybe 1/2 the height of the towers. I also noted the new C14 is taller. Perhaps having more consistency in the heights of the traps and speakers has some effect? It somehow feels more appropriate.
The demo I had used for months was needed for an audio show. Off it went and in came AVAA’s #5 and 6! After stacking them on top of the front units and starting to listen I discovered that max settings were too much on the new ones. A harshness/sharpness that wasn’t present before disturbed my ears. The answer was to turn down the settings on the top units. I tried numerous times and found a perfect setting. Issue resolved.
I’m done for now and very pleased with the bass trapping. I never realized how important it is. Now the AVAA’s are a permanent part of my system.
And I don’t think I’m the only one…

Reactions: Ron Resnick

ecwl

Mar 20, 2021
Winnipeg, Canada
I’m guessing the c214 is an improved version of the c20
Oops. I meant to post in the C214 thread.
C214 is the digital version of C20. So it’s a bit taller and smaller than the C20. The main advantage I think is that you can actually get more bass absorption than the C20. According to the manual, by more than 6dB. However, when I did that at my own home, because I have an asymmetric room, I clearly absorbed too much bass at one corner so the room sounded weirdly asymmetric. So in the end I just went back to the standard level of absorption which would be similar to what C20 can do. Clearly everyone’s mileage on the product will vary depending on your room.

Reactions: Forte

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
I just noticed this:

In addition to the Magico M7 & Titan, there are two PSI AVAA C214 at the corners.
Doubtful that two can adequately cover this room.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing