RCA CPS-118 2 track tape

Pacha

VIP/Donor
Apr 23, 2014
In my many years searching for the old RCA 2 track tapes I've found two copies of this one. The issue is both are very heavily recorded on the left side and very lightly on the right, even with balance all the way right it is still left heavy. Does anyone here have a copy of this tape and if so, is your copy recorded the same way?

IMG_7368.jpeg

I really enjoy the music on this tape and would like to find one without this issue. No sense in looking if they are all this way.
Thanks in advance for any input.

Pacha

VIP/Donor
Apr 23, 2014
I'm guessing Christen did not find that he had a copy.
Anyone else have this tape?

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I have a 15ips 2 track version of the album, a dub of a copy of a safety master (3rd gen). Very nice sound. RCA did a great job engineering Belafonte''s albums. Both "Sings the Blues" and "At Carnegie Hall" are on the TAS Superdisc list in their original vinyl versions and have been reissued on audiophile editions. I don't think my copy of Sings the Blues has any balance issues.

I have the two At Carnegie Hall albums on 7.5ips 4 track stereo, which are quite fine. I don't know if either were issued by RCA in 7.5ips 2 track stereo. I also have both of them in 15ips 2 track tape copies of master dubs as well as Belafonte's first album, the great mono recording "Calypso", also on 15ips 2 track tape. The second Carnegie Hall album features several guest artists including the Chad Mitchell Trio (with Chad Mitchell and not John Denver who later replaced Mitchell), Odetta, Miriam Makeba, and the Belafonte Folk Singers. Belafonte does some duets, and many solos, but shares the spotlight with the other performers.

Larry

Pacha

VIP/Donor
Apr 23, 2014
Thank you Christen, I guess this is a good as this one gets and I'll stop looking for another copy. Not the biggest sample population but, 3 for 3 doesn't look good for this tape.

Pacha

VIP/Donor
Apr 23, 2014
I have a 15ips 2 track version of the album, a dub of a copy of a safety master (3rd gen). Very nice sound. RCA did a great job engineering Belafonte''s albums. Both "Sings the Blues" and "At Carnegie Hall" are on the TAS Superdisc list in their original vinyl versions and have been reissued on audiophile editions. I don't think my copy of Sings the Blues has any balance issues.

I have the two At Carnegie Hall albums on 7.5ips 4 track stereo, which are quite fine. I don't know if either were issued by RCA in 7.5ips 2 track stereo. I also have both of them in 15ips 2 track tape copies of master dubs as well as Belafonte's first album, the great mono recording "Calypso", also on 15ips 2 track tape. The second Carnegie Hall album features several guest artists including the Chad Mitchell Trio (with Chad Mitchell and not John Denver who later replaced Mitchell), Odetta, Miriam Makeba, and the Belafonte Folk Singers. Belafonte does some duets, and many solos, but shares the spotlight with the other performers.

Larry
Hi Larry,

I also have the two from Carnegie Hall as well as the Dave Brubeck from there. You are correct, they are fabulous performances. I would be very happy just to have a 7.5 ips copy of your master dub, I'm envious.

Thanks for the response,
Pacha

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing