Re-imagining "Class A" Amplification

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Westminster News February, 2024:

Angus and I are proud to report that Wilson Benesch has adopted Westminster Electronics as their reference in their listening room in Sheffield, UK. WB executives experienced the combination on varying occasions since they have the same distributor in Germany. I also listened to the big WBs and the Reis at Robert Harley's when he was preparing his recently published review of the Eminence/ dual Infrasonic Generator subwoofer system.

Wilson Benesch speakers are known for their speed and resolution, which many amplifiers can obscure. The Westminster Lab Quest preamplifier and Rei amplifiers are also known for speed and resolution and add tone density and saturation to the presentation, which I found alluring.

Below are some photos taken in Wilson the room. The room photo shows the system with electronics previously used before Westminster's arrival:)

DSC05061.jpg wb-factory-product-development-listening-room-06019.jpg wb-factory-product-development-listening-room-06022.jpg wb-factory-product-development-listening-room-06024.jpg wb-factory-product-development-listening-room-06033.jpg

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
BETTER LATE THAN NEVER!

When David Robinson told me we would be receiving an Oasis Award for the WestminsterLabs/Von Schweikert/Lampizator room at last years Axpona I was naturally excited by the news. I then saw David at the LAOC when he presented a Lifetime Achievement Award to the eminently deserving John Curl and he said yup it's coming. Well here it is a wee bit delayed but most welcomed!

The band will be back together at Axpona 2024 in April with exciting world premieres from VSA and Lampizator so please come by and see what we have in store. Thanks Damon, Fred and Rob for always being great room partners!

004_PF_Audio_Oasis_Von-Schweikert-Audio_LampizatOr_Westminsterlab_Small-Green-Computer_Critica...jpg 002_Westminsterlab_Rei_curves_autocolor_6x9_300ppi_DSC_5434-1536x1024.jpg

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations, Gary!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Congratulations! That is great news.

Reactions: lscangus

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations to Angus Leung of WestminsterLab (designer) and Gary Leeds of Hear This (distributor) for Robert Harley's rave review of the REI amplifier in the May/June 2024 issue of the absolute sound!

SeagoatLeo

Feb 23, 2015
Wow! Can’t wait to read. Congrats team, well deserved recognition.
I am expecting the magazine on April 4th. Maybe you read it on Zinio on-line. I've heard the REIs on my speakers and one characteristic which was phenomenal was the macro dynamic range listening to jazz and orchestral music. My CDs sounded incredibly dynamic from PPPP to FFFF, instantaneous and subtle changes in dynamics. Much better than VAC that I'm used to hearing on Von Schweikert Ultras. Listening to well recorded music is often better than live (the software is cheaper and more convenient as well).

mxk116

Mar 24, 2022
I have been using the WestminsterLab Rei monoblocks for better part of a year. 2 weeks ago I installed the WL Quest preamp with the latest volume control update. ~170 hours into the break-in period. As much as I appreciated the musicality and control of the Rei amps, adding the latest version of the Quest took the music to a place I did not think possible in this room.

First , the bass control, extension and drive of the combination is immediately apparent in the most musical way. Second, and most compelling to me, is the transparency and what seems to be a limitless dynamic range the Quest brings to the presentation. Of course the source material must be up to the challenge but I have not experienced this lack of compression in recordings I thought I knew very well.

Last night, listening to the track Myself Around You from the latest Julian Lage release, Speak to Me, I was literally startled by the attack and nuanced dynamics of the performance. I have seen Julian play live numerous times (solo, with a trio and quartet, electric and acoustic) and what I heard last night was the gestalt of being present at the performance.

Kudos to Angus for building these brilliant devices and thanks to Gary for turning me on to them.

Last edited:

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Thank you, Ron! This is a milestone we are quite proud of for an emerging brand. To our customers, past and present, a BIG thank you from Angus and myself!

Puma Cat

Feb 20, 2011
SF East Bay Area
I met Angus last year at AXPONA, on the very first day, when he and Nelson Choi were setting up the Lumin room, and we had a very interesting discussion about audio component design. IIRC, Angus also designed Lumin's amplifier, apppropriately named, "Amp". Would love to review that someday for Secrets of Home Theatre and High Fidelity.

I then met Angus once again in Gary Lea's Hear This room with Angus' amazing Westminster Labs mono amplifiers and Quest preamp, and IIRC, the LampiZator Horizon DAC and Von Schweikert loudspeakers.

Hee's a photo of of the Hear This room from AXPONA 2023; it was easily one of the best rooms I heard at AXPONA last year, and it was really fun and educational chatting with Angus.

Cheers and congrats to Gary Lea and Angus Leung.

Last edited:

viola

VIP/Donor
Apr 21, 2021
Connecticut
I have just finished reading Robert Harley's review of the Westminster Lab Rei monoblocks in the May/June 2024 edition of The Absolute Sound. His review describes exactly what I have experienced from these extraordinary amplifiers during my 21 months of ownership, and his summary is spot on: "neutrality, high resolution, see-through transparency, dynamic liveliness and outstanding bass." I have also been amazed by the attacks, decays and 3-dimensionality, points that were also recognized by Mr. Harley: "The Rei's transient speed brings them to life, and the instruments are surrounded by little puffs of air." To my ears, the Rei's outperform amplifiers that are multiple times their cost.

mxk116

Mar 24, 2022
I have just finished reading Robert Harley's review of the Westminster Lab Rei monoblocks in the May/June 2024 edition of The Absolute Sound. His review describes exactly what I have experienced from these extraordinary amplifiers during my 21 months of ownership, and his summary is spot on: "neutrality, high resolution, see-through transparency, dynamic liveliness and outstanding bass." I have also been amazed by the attacks, decays and 3-dimensionality, points that were also recognized by Mr. Harley: "The Rei's transient speed brings them to life, and the instruments are surrounded by little puffs of air." To my ears, the Rei's outperform amplifiers that are multiple times their cost.
I certainly agree with your thoughts on Mr. Harley's review. It pretty much sums up my impressions and why I like the Rei as much as I do. One thing I'd add from my perspective is the form factor; definitely an important element for me.

Lastly I can't emphasize enough, when paired with the Quest pre, the Rei is even more sensational.

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
For those who don't have access to the TAS review, Mr. Harley's assessment of the Rei monoblock amplifiers is attached as a PDF. Are they giant killers—you bet!

Next, we are getting close to Axpona and will have a never-before-heard WestminsterLab set-up in our suite. For those members attending please stop by and say hello. More details will follow over the weekend as we just now finished putting everything on the truck bound for Chicago.

Attachments

• TAS 349 WESTMINISTER REPRINT (1).pdf
    911.2 KB · Views: 39

Damon Von Schweikert

WBF Technical Expert
Sep 15, 2016
California
www.vonschweikert.com
This AXPONA will be the first anniversary of showing our loudspeakers with the impressive WestminsterLab electronics and I'm in no way surprised Robert was so impressed with the REI amps. I guess this is my way of saying, "I was into the band before they became popular." ;)

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Thanks for digging our band, Damon!

In a few days, we will make great music with our bandmates. Fred and Rob of Lampizator NA will present their new Posidean DAC sensation and Vividus grounding box—Andrew from SGC, his latest server and next-generation Sonore streamer.

VSA's sensational the fabulous VR-55 Special Edition loudspeakers with Foundation ARC bass amplifiers. For mid-range and high-frequency duties, four Westminster Lab Rei monoblock amplifiers will be set up in vertical bi-amplification mode fronted by the never-seen-before dual mono Quest pre-amplifiers. Supporting things, my long-time partner, John Heins, will present his bespoke Folgenhaus equipment rack, a stunning piece of woodcraft that can compete with the best stands made while retaining the esthetic qualities of the best heirloom furniture.

Angus will also be on hand, so we hope you can stop by to say hello and share your experiences with him.
Californians, there was a rumored Angus sighting over the weekend!

Fred, Rob, Damon, Andrew, John, Angus, and I look forward to seeing you at the show!

AXPONA_PriceList_Poster.png
IMG-20240408-WA0000.jpg

Last edited:

lscangus

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2018
Thank you everyone ( Gary, Ron, Damon and all our beloved WestminsterLab users ) for the continue support and the amazing feedback! It is exactly your feedback and appreciation that keep us going and pushing the boundary. I am really glad that everyone is enjoying the "small" upgrade for the Quest and we are working very hard to bring another product to the market before the end of the year. And I promise this is something we are very excited about!

This year, we have something special at 1621 Axpona, this is the first time a setup with 2 X Quest ( in dual mono mode ) shown in public. I am very excited about this pairing with the VR-55 and I think it is going to be something special!

Pokey77

Feb 16, 2022
Thanks for digging our band, Damon!

In a few days, we will make great music with our bandmates. Fred and Rob of Lampizator NA will present their new Posidean DAC sensation and Vividus grounding box—Andrew from SGC, his latest server and next-generation Sonore streamer.

VSA's sensational the fabulous VR-55 Special Edition loudspeakers with Foundation ARC bass amplifiers. For mid-range and high-frequency duties, four Westminster Lab Rei monoblock amplifiers will be set up in vertical bi-amplification mode fronted by the never-seen-before dual mono Quest pre-amplifiers. Supporting things, my long-time partner, John Heins, will present his bespoke Folgenhaus equipment rack, a stunning piece of woodcraft that can compete with the best stands made while retaining the esthetic qualities of the best heirloom furniture.

Angus will also be on hand, so we hope you can stop by to say hello and share your experiences with him.
Californians, there was a rumored Angus sighting over the weekend!

Fred, Rob, Damon, Andrew, John, Angus, and I look forward to seeing you at the show!

View attachment 128334
View attachment 128336
Angus in CDM with the Wedge in the background.

Reactions: Puma Cat and gleeds

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing