Roon to Unveil Multichannel DSD 256 on NADAC at High End Munich This Weekend

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013
Merging Technologies and Roon Labs will partner to show the Roon implementation of Multichannel playback, up to DSD 256 Multichannel, at this weekend's High End Munich audio show from May 5 - May 8, 2016.
More details are to be revealed at the RMAF Audio Show this Fall per the announcement.

ROON ENABLED MERGING NADAC PREVIEWS IN MUNICH
A new generation of integrated audiophile server will be demonstrated at HEM 2016

Puidoux, Switzerland. May 2016: Merging Technologies is proud to announce that the result of a new partnership with Roon Labs will be on display on stand 3-L10/M07 and in the Special Sound Demonstration in Konferenzraum K1B at the HIGH END show in Munich. The concept of Roon’s ground breaking player program being offered in integrated solutions is not new; there being many existing partners with products available, but this will be the first time that the focus will shift to a complete turnkey and networked solution offering multichannel capability up to DSD256 and DXD.

The Merging NADAC was launched at the 2015 HIGH END to much acclaim and has been fortunate to have received several rave reviews for its amazing transparency and for the advantages of the RAVENNA/AES67 networked solution. A variety of player solutions including Merging’s own Emotion player can be used with an external computer but this concept is not the first choice for all users. The ‘single box’ solution with the software and the server combined with a DAC removes the need to have a computer in the living room. The ease with which the whole system can then be controlled by tablet or smart phone enhances the user experience significantly. Integration details such as direct control of the NADAC volume and mute from the Roon user interface also adds to the overall ergonomics by simplifying the control of the entire system from one single page on one single tablet.

Roon is well known to provide a superlative user experience with its friendly interface and the most comprehensive database available for the music lover seeking information on all aspects of his favorite track. Marrying Roon to the best sounding and most transparent DAC available and providing multichannel playback would be noteworthy enough but the addition of true networking advantages provides a degree of in-home flexibility that users could only dream about.

Merging also announced that this solution can be retrofitted to all Merging NADAC units already in the field and to any units shipping from now on, meaning early adopters can take advantage of the upgrade if they wish. Pricing and options for this solution, as well as cost for the upgrade of existing units and delivery date will be announced at Rocky Mountain.

Roon’s CEO, Enno Vandermeer commented; “We have admired the innovation and devotion to excellence that Merging has demonstrated with their entry into the audiophile market. This dovetails with our objective to be at the top of the performance table as well as having the best user experience.” On Merging’s behalf, Head of Software Engineering and NADAC Product Manager, Dominique Brulhart stated; “We have carefully evaluated the trends and needs of today’s audiophile and it is clear that a Roon enabled DAC is a very elegant solution. We are delighted to be working with our friends there to maximize all the advantages that we can both offer. Customers can still choose other player solutions with our technology, as well as other DACs with Roon, but we think this combination will be hard to beat.”

Fitzcaraldo215

Nov 3, 2014
Merging Technologies and Roon Labs will partner to show the Roon implementation of Multichannel playback, up to DSD 256 Multichannel, at this weekend's High End Munich audio show from May 5 - May 8, 2016.
More details are to be revealed at the RMAF Audio Show this Fall per the announcement.

Thanks, but I have been doing multichannel, DSD up to 4x (DSD256), etc. for several years using JRiver and an Exasound E28. That, and Roon still does not handle my classical library with the competence I require. That is also not to mention my video library in Mch audio, which I am not sure is even on Roon's radar yet.

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013
Thanks, but I have been doing multichannel, DSD up to 4x (DSD256), etc. for several years using JRiver and an Exasound E28. That, and Roon still does not handle my classical library with the competence I require. That is also not to mention my video library in Mch audio, which I am not sure is even on Roon's radar yet.

exaSound is supporting Roon via their PlayPoint product. And I know they are looking to support Roon Multichannel playback when it is launched.
Always good to have more choices when it comes to Multichannel DSD 256 playback!

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013
Interesting, but in reality are there more than half a dozen multi-channel DSD titles out there?

Yes, there are over 900 Multichannel DSD titles available to date. Most on Native DSD (over 700).
See the DSD Database section on DSD Music Downloads and DSD Guides and Search Engines for links to the download stores and totals.

http://www.nativedsd.com/database

Fitzcaraldo215

Nov 3, 2014
Yes, for Mch DSD downloads currently. EClassical (BIS) has promised to release their large catalog in Mch, but most were not recorded in DSD. That has not yet materialized.

There are many more Mch SACDs - thousands - not yet available for download. Some collectors have large numbers of Mch DSD files ripped from SACD.

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013
There are many more Mch SACDs - thousands - not yet available for download. Some collectors have large numbers of Mch DSD files ripped from SACD.

And now we can get DSD recordings that never were released on SACD at all. Not to mention recordings available at double and quad rate DSD that won't fit on an SACD.
No way to get these via ripping SACDs.

Lots of fine Multichannel listening choices. Love it! :)

Yes, for Mch DSD downloads currently. EClassical (BIS) has promised to release their large catalog in Mch, but most were not recorded in DSD. That has not yet materialized.

You are correct, currently I have about 8TB of multi-channel music. Mainly DSD taken from my SACD collection. However, whenever I find time, I will rip the rest of the ISO files to MC DSD, add the meta-data, its a time intensive task. Ripping a couple of thousand SACDs to stereo took a couple of years !

MC Roon will be terrific. That should provide the stimulus to complete ripping the rest of my MC collection, which should be around 15TB once fully assembled.Not to mention the DSD128 & 256 that are starting to appear. Should be really exciting !

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013
MC Roon will be terrific. That should provide the stimulus to complete ripping the rest of my MC collection, which should be around 15TB once fully assembled.Not to mention the DSD128 & 256 that are starting to appear. Should be really exciting !

Yes, there are some very interesting Multichannel DSD 128 and DSD 256 albums appearing on the market.
Along with DSD 64 recordings that were never issued on SACD and are now available as Stereo and Multichannel DSD downloads.

It's definitely an exciting time to be a music listener. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing