Rumble surprise!

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
This morning I received 5 new titles from Jonathan from ipi, I order quite a bit from there, probably will get the whole catalog in the end.

One of the first ones I listened to, is a lovely solo (jazz) piano performance performed in a church in Chicago.
Here is a breakdown from the ipi site:

Bill Carrothers, Yellow Rose, September 2018 – Chicago, Illinois

A professional pianist for over 35 years, Bill in this outing narrows his formidable repertoire to focus on gorgeously melodic songs associated with the US Civil War (The Yellow Rose Of Texas,” “Dixie,” etc). The result is a stunning, contemporary solo performance evoking the inner beauty of these songs and displaying Bill’s sensitivity and brilliant harmonic sophistication. The setting is a large church with Bill playing a 7-foot Steinway piano which is captured with two Sanken C-100k omni-direction microphones onto a custom Studer/Revox C-272, two-track tape recorder using two Pueblo JR2/2 microphone preamps. This minimal setup carries through all the beauty present in the original performance. The result is sublime.

You can also find the pianist (the one who do not know him) on streaming and listen to him, he is quite famous with several excellent albums, a solo, trio and more.
In the very first minutes and here and there during the performance (the tape simply draws you to the venue in front of it) you can hear a rumble in a very low bass fq... at the same time you'll hear Bill humming (a.k.a. Keith Jarrett and others..)...Bill plays in an empty church when Jonathan records it with only a pair of very special microphones on an 7f Steinway, Bill is known as a barefoot pianist! And I was sure that these microphones also "caught" his waves on the big stage and from there the rumble in the very low bass... An email to Jonathan to discuss on the subject out of curiosity, and then I was told that it wasn't Bill, but a thunderstorm! that happened at that moment in Chicago and the microphones caught a little of them. .. basically something that in every other format probably had "deleted" but here, no!
This is the show, it's live, and if you were sitting there in front of him this is what you would hear in the background. Charming!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing