Sablon Evo usb cable

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil
Hi Mark! This is João from Brazil.
A friend of mine from São Paulo, violinist on OSESP, the best Brazilian orchestra, sent me a comment about the Evo USB cable I would like to share with you.
It’s just a Google translation, so maybe some inconsistencies.

Hello my friend João, how are you, my dear? Look at the USB cable I received to test. I was a bit shocked by this USB cable from Sablon. João it is an impressive thing what this cable does. It's shocking because I have a $1000+ pure silver USB cable. But in this Sablon, the harmonic body resulting in the system, the openness with docility. and it's also fast impressive impressive João

Moladiego

May 30, 2022
I want to express my special thanks to Mark Coles of Sablon Audio. I use his EVO USB cable to connect Taiko Extreme and Lampizator Horizon. It is the best USB cable I have ever owned and used. Mark cares deeply about his customers and often shares his experience and wisdom about the audiophile hobby. He provides great services for the products he sold. For instance, because of the quirkiness of my components, I thought removing the v-bus line from the EVO may lower the noise floor. Mark first ascertained that such removal would not cause any issue for my components and then promptly performed the work as I wished. I shipped the cable from the US and got it back within the same week. I cannot be happier with the EVO USB cable and Mark's services. He is a manufacturer and seller you can trust completely. Thanks, Mark.

jeremya

Oct 30, 2013
Redmond, WA
www.hififoundations.com
I’m wondering if anyone here has had any trouble with pops or crackles / ultra-brief breakups during playback with their Evo USB cable?

I just added one (new/unopened but second-hand) to my system (replacing a Lush^2 that was my mainstay for a couple years) and first things first: *everything* I’ve listened to so far sounds better overall… so major props, Mr. Coles!

IMG_0465.jpeg

On the problematic side, there are these infrequent/intermittent pops / crackles during playback (reminiscent of vinyl static discharges, sometimes quiet, sometimes louder, but never crazy loud) maybe half a dozen times during a song.

Some fiddling seems to be pointing (of all things) at the NOS mode on my Gustard x26 Pro DAC in conjunction with HQP either upsampling (or just transporting) the bits from Roon to my DAC.

For the past hour, I’ve tried:
- music of various bit depths and sample rates
- playing straight to the DAC (eliminating HQP)
- locally sourced music and NAS-delivered files
- music from Tidal straight
- music from Tidal upsampled

... the source doesn’t seem to impact it other than HQP being in the chain makes it more frequent.

The most “stable” I’ve gotten playback to be is by closing HQP on my server and selecting my Gustard directly via Roon plus disabling NOS mode on my DAC.

Really, really odd.

So, I’m curious — is my experience unique? Is this a known ‘trait’ others have witnessed? Any tips on how to work the gremlins out?

Last edited:

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
@jeremya - this is not a common experience but equally is not completely unknown.

In arriving at the sonic performance of the Evo model, I have taken the design further away from typical usb 2 spec and the parameters of some driver software / usb input card aren't always comfortable with this deviation. This issue has mostly arisen with 'budget' asian dacs / the T&A200 which unusually uses a Thesycon input card / some early Lampizator Pacific JLSounds installations which didn't have the 5vdc connected.

Upsampling per se is not necessarily an issue but the outcome depends on the usb input card - eg the older Amanero used by T&A was very accommodating and would accept DSD512.

Reactions: jeremya

jeremya

Oct 30, 2013
Redmond, WA
www.hififoundations.com
@jeremya - this is not a common experience but equally is not completely unknown.

In arriving at the sonic performance of the Evo model, I have taken the design further away from typical usb 2 spec and the parameters of some driver software / usb input card aren't always comfortable with this deviation. This issue has mostly arisen with 'budget' asian dacs / the T&A200 which unusually uses a Thesycon input card / some early Lampizator Pacific JLSounds installations which didn't have the 5vdc connected.

Upsampling per se is not necessarily an issue but the outcome depends on the usb input card - eg the older Amanero used by T&A was very accommodating and would accept DSD512.

Thanks, Mark. =^)

The Gustard x26 Pro is based on the XU216 XMOS USB chipset. It's (so far) been working flawlessly with everything I can throw at it via other USB cables. Generally, I PGGB or HQP my music and feed the DAC a steady diet of 32/384 or 32/768 PCM (12.2Mbps), which is a splash in the bucket by even the antiquated USB 2.0 hi-speed (480Mbps) standard circa 2001. So, I doubt it's a bandwidth issue.

Even with NOS mode disabled, I still get these little intermittent ticks/pops/hitches (though they seem to be fewer - perhaps 2 or 3 in a 3 minute period, whereas it's closer to 5 or 6 in the same period with NOS enabled) - the DAC doesn't complain of losing USB sync at all, it's just an phenomenon that doesn't repeat if you rewind and try the same section of music again (though you might get a new one in a new place...).

Given the intermittent nature of it, I wonder if perhaps it's some kind of charge build-up and dissipation that is (in part) a function of accumulated signal activity and/or ambient EM/RFI and/or Earth potential of my server and my DAC (they are both plugged into the same circuit and the same power treatment chain, so by all rights their ground impedance should be effectively identical).

And if it is that, then I wonder if there's a way to remedy it with a cable modification that doesn't "throw the baby out with the bathwater"...

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
And if it is that, then I wonder if there's a way to remedy it with a cable modification that doesn't "throw the baby out with the bathwater"...
Unfortunately not as this narrower operating is innate to the design. The earlier 2020 model is however more accommodating and still sounds great, especially with a little tweak learned from the development of Evo.

Feel free to DM / email me should you wish to further discuss.

Reactions: jeremya

Mamon

Apr 13, 2021
Russia
They invested in Evo very seriously, resolution / transparency / speed, beautifully draws realistic images. It does not pull into brightness or darkness, with a good black background and at the same time dense with a warm base from the bottom and below.
The feed is more analog, similar to a vinyl shade.
There's nothing to complain about.
Light Harmonic LightSpeed 10g went for sale.
Antipodes k50 - Lampizator Atlantic trp.

Reactions: Sablon Audio

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing