Selecting a preamplifier to use with more than a single pair of front speakers

donstewart

Nov 14, 2019
I am tuning up my music listening room and discovering that simple stereo seems to be the sound that I like best. That said, I would like to experiment with combination of speakers in the main (front) position including driving multiple pairs simultaneously.

My perfect solution would be a preamplifier that accepts single input from CD transport (preferably digital), has individual volume adjustment and balance for at least four amplifier outputs, a master volume control, and a remote for that last item. Some corssover controls to select what frequencies go to what output would be a bonus.

Here is what I have:
- CD transport
- Sunfire Theater Grand Processor (to be replaced by this preamp or preamps).
- Carver m1.5t
- Carver m1.0t
- Dahlquist DQ-20i pair
- Polk model 12 pair
- M&K powered sub
- Polk powered sub

The SunFire is working great on the "Source Direct" setting, but only has a single front speaker output to amp. Is there an audiophile appropriate preamp or set of preamps I could put together to deliver the output from my CD transport to those speakers and subs while offering controls for balancing and volume?

Last edited:

donstewart

Nov 14, 2019
Thank you! That appears to have pointed me in the right direction. Thinking now that I should keep the SunFire but send that output to a mixer that provides the volume and balance adjustments I am looking for to both amplifiers. Once balanced, the remote on the SunFire provides the master volume control needed.

That said, can anyone recommend a audiophile quality mixer? (1x2 or 1x3 )

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Marchand makes crossovers with losts of custom options; tube or solid state. Might work for you.
Or
Crookwood can make you a 'mastering controller' to your spec. Even with dacs onboard if you like.

Of course there are loads of small mixers that might do; audiophile quality will take some investigation and trial. Usually in pro gear there is functional or there is expensive.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing