Selecting a Thomas Mayer amp for horns

Germanboxers

Dec 14, 2015
Hello,

I am looking to leverage the vast collective knowledge of WBF members to help me select a Thomas Mayer amp for my Avantgarde Duo MezzoXD speakers. I have been in contact with Thomas (btw, he is incredibly responsive and helpful...another reason beyond his beautiful work to appreciate the products he creates) and I think I have narrowed down to 3 options (in no order, all tower, 2 chassis mono amps):
1.) 45 drives 45
2.) 10Y drives 45
3.) 801A drives 300B

I would be connecting the amps via XLR (600 ohm input impedance for Thomas' amps) from my MSB Reference DAC with preamp module and Femto 77 clock. The output impedance of the DAC is 150 ohms and output voltage is 3.57Vrms maximum which should be more than sufficient to drive the low input impedance of the amps. Input sensitivity should be sufficient, even with the 45 drives 45 since Thomas uses the full output voltage from balanced sources, rather than 1/2 like is often the case.

Do any of you have experience with these amps? Any comments regarding your experiences or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I've linked Thomas' blog on the The Sound of the Tube here to get his reluctantly given short take on the sound of these three combinations. They are helpful to a point, but could use perspective from other listeners as well.

Thanks,

Jordan

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Germanboxers

Dec 14, 2015
Thanks Kedar. I have read this blog of yours in the recent past. I have decided against including the 46 in my choices, primarily so as to not be limited in those rare occasions I want to really "jam". I think ZeroStarGeneral's speakers were in the 120dB/W sensitivty whereas mine are around 107dB/W.

Have you heard the 45 drives 45 combo? By my reading of Thomas' description of the sound of this combo, I'm slightly concerned that tone would limit microdynamic shading, resolution, and impact. Is that a fair concern relative in general or just in relation to the 10Y drives 45?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I wouldn't know that. I have heard NOS globe 10ys vs the Elrog and the difference is quite huge among what brand you use itself.

Germanboxers

Dec 14, 2015
Did you prefer the NOS globe 10y's over the 801A Elrogs?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing