Solidsteel Racks

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Do some of you use Solidsteel racks and how do you like them compared to the competition ?
I'm looking at HP-3 model for my system. Solidsteel_HP-3_nT_hyperspike_audio_rack-800x800.jpg

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Do some of you use Solidsteel racks and how do you like them compared to the competition ?
I'm looking at HP-3 model for my system. View attachment 53269
Hello Thieliste,
Solidsteel racks are very popular in Hong Kong.
The brand has been here for maybe 20 years or more.

The current S Series is just mediocre.

The Hx Series is very good, both in term of performance and value.
IMHO the Hx Series are best buys amongst mid-price hifi rack brands.

Reactions: Thieliste

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
That's a definite! I've got about 50cts to add...

When I was visiting the previous Melbourne HiFi show, I was on the lookout for a proper rack/stand to house each component, so my search began... However, I was quite shocked to come across certain stands that cost big bucks and others not quite sure what they claim to do but were off the charts! Obviously I've missed the boat since my last rack/stand purchase, way back in 98, was a marvellous all steel design fully adjustable shelves, with perforated platforms and heavy duty stuff- Bel'o getti. It lasted so many years, and since then in addition been using some regular shelves from Apollo UK designs along with Nordost Sort Kones under each component. This was good enough. So I thought my search was over, either these stands were priced more than the gear itself or there are others that are well over-priced but don't do the job properly, until... I came across Solid Steel in Australia!

I must say they're very well made, affordable range to suit your budget and most importantly, they do a mighty fine job! The Top tier ones are also beautiful, solid stuff indeed and aren't obtrusive or in the way, like those lofty ones that cry for attention...

So I'm extremely glad that I didn't spend 15-20 grand on racks or stands, I really don't understand the logic nor can figure out what the fuss is about in those ultra priced ones.

However, if those of you do have the means and can justify the benefits of such exuberant racks, by all means go for it! I truly hope it's making a significant difference in the overall presentation of sound and not just a psychological difference...

I highly recommend this particular brand without any hesitation and for me it has been the best value in audio racks to date, simply surpasses anything I've used in the past and most others that cost a fortune in various systems I've come across.
Well done, Solid Steel!
Cheers and a big woof! RJ

audioquest4life

Sep 23, 2020
I just ordered the HF-4 series in macassar. I am placing a Transrotor Dark Star on top. The price was right.

Attachments

• 577F64FC-FC09-43E5-94E9-C8B4340E6B4A.jpeg
    577F64FC-FC09-43E5-94E9-C8B4340E6B4A.jpeg
    32.2 KB · Views: 18

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Nice one mate. Glad to hear you've ordered one, they're certainly fine pieces of equipment, art and beauty in true Italian style.

Putting them together is not too hard a task but it does involve some muscle and heavy lifting. The shelves themselves are quite manageable, you have to peel off the thin protective film before installing, this can take a while. Once that's cleared off, assembling is quite straight forward, no tools needed as such. The heavy parts are the support beams, these are basically "solid steel!" Quite heavy and each one can certainly do some damage if one was to drop on your foot... it did on mine, ouch!

Once each shelve is put together, lifting each one and placing it on the pin point steel circular base is the heavy lifting... take a deep breath and hold your stomach in, get those abs and core working!

The assembly is done from the ground up, first the lowest shelf/ base then followed by the other shelves. However, like I said you have to lift each assembled shelf and place it on those steel bases in line with each spike. Once they sit firm, they're pretty much solid!

The sheer weight and mass is for audio purposes. The density is very much thicker to anything I've used previously and each steel column is solid steel. Filled columns, not hollow and thus is what adds to the sheer weight of the entire structure.

I've got all the gear placed on two of these things now. Next I plan to get separate spiked platforms for each of the monoblocks. Then the installation racking will be complete. For now each monoblock is sitting on Apollo glass stands, not ideal but supported by three Nordost Sort Kones. So the anti-vibration thing is the focus, however I feel the single solid steel platforms made and designed for amplfiers will suit better.

Cheers, and let us know how you find it, especially the installation aspect.

Have a good one, RJ

Reactions: audioquest4life

audioquest4life

Sep 23, 2020
Thank you for your feedback. Looking forward to the assembly and core workout, not. Yes, I agree, the Italian craftsmanship and design are very appealing in an Italian fashion way. Besides, I need to include stuff from one side of my ancestors, the Italian side.

I currently have Copulare custom made amp stands for my MC2301 amps which weight about 115 pounds each. My audio rack for the phono and preamp is also a Copulare. Great German design.

My big turntable, Transrotor sits upon a Clearaudio MontBlanc stand which weighs about 275 pounds.

On amp stands, not that I feel I need to change out the current Copulare amp stands, but, I have been researching the Silent Running Audio (SRA) Ohio Class XL and Virginia Class amp stands. I keep reading and reading and don’t detect anything not to like, besides the price, LoL. The looks of the SRA amp stands are not artsy looking; however, the positive benefits of vibration control cannot be excluded and the way that SRA goes about this is fascinating to me. How is Apollo able to ameliorate glass ringing or vibration? These are also interesting.

Agree, the Solidsteel amp stands would probably offer better performance in terms of vibration control compared to the current Apollo’s.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
The Apollo stands, thick tinted tempered glass, is not high end or anything of that sort. It just suits the purpose to support anything around 50kg. They're wide enough to hold a range of gear except those very large items, Gryphon Mephisto, Relentless, Boulders and so on.

I got them direct from the UK in 2007, at the time they suited the gear I had compared to the wooden tables I was using. So from that sort of low end support racking, obviously the Apollo is great! However, no where compared to Solid Steel or any other well designed audio rack supporting structures. Eventually I'll get the amplifier stands from Solid Steel, just using the Apollo for now, got a few other priorities to attend to.

The good thing though, placing the monoblocks on Sort Kones does help, and the particular BC bronze sort Kones by Nordost are actually suited towards glass shelves, so they work really well.

When I do get the Solid Steel power amplifier platforms, I'll still use the Sort Kones though, paid good money for them and they work wonders. As is the case with every accessory I've used from Nordost. They're remarkable products!

Cheers mate, RJ

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing