Soundcraft Magnetics S20, a rather unknown, though exceptional recorder, which never entered regular production

HDVS

May 20, 2014
Italy
IMG_7335.jpegIt’s been a tentative to have a very advanced machine in Soundcraft’s product catalogue during mid Eighties. The first idea came in 1983 and was developed and materialized in about 10 units which were given to beta testers (studios around the world), to check the machine and report back with feelings/ideas/suggestions, as well as good/bad experiences. The machine could handle 14” reels, was compatible with 1/4” and 1/2” tapes and, in a similar way to the Ampex ATR100, it was just a matter of swapping headblocks and replacing two stainless steel caps in 2 rotary guides. The electronics was able to detect the kind of headblock installed and switch the audio parameters and mecha ballistic accordingly. Of course all audio parameters were software controlled and there was provision for 5 different tape presets for each speed (three in total) and each EQ (CCIR-AES-NAB). The machine was one of the very few to have bass level control also on the recording amplifiers, giving a perfectly flat rec/play frequency response. It was remote controllable and very easy to maintain, thanks to its simplicity and easy access to all its mechanical parts and electronics.

Repro amplifiers used multiple transistor arrays in the differential input stage and a very straight audio path was used, in order to keep maximum transparency. In the end, the audio card was about the same as that used in their multitrack machine, the Saturn. The heads were from Photovox, the old one, therefore simply excellent. The audio performance is absolutely in the same league of the top of the line recorders made by Studer, Nagra, Stellavox, Otari, Sony and so on. I have all of them and know well how they sound together with pros and cons of each model.

Unfortunately, the S20 never came to final production because SM was forced to close by its parent company Soundcraft, which was experiencing big financial problems in 1986.

As a consequence, only the demonstrators were assembled and some of them still exist, including the beautiful fully transparent unit (of course fully working, not just dead box) explicitly made to be shown at professional audio trade shows.

This is a video of the 1/2” unit (one of the three manufactured in that format), playing (with its internal speakers) a “Toccata e Fuga” which I personally recorded in my town more than 10 years ago.

I’ve attached some pictures too, for the most curious of you.

IMG_5176.jpeg
IMG_5875.jpeg
IMG_5872.jpeg

Reactions: tapepath
i saw those pictures a few days ago, someone posted it on FB, and thought is just amazing.
thank you for that story and sharing.
looks absolutely gorgeous.

Reactions: HDVS
i saw those pictures a few days ago, someone posted it on FB, and thought is just amazing.
thank you for that story and sharing.
looks absolutely gorgeous.
On FB you can even find a group on that recorder, with interesting pictures and videos. Most of the members of the team which designed the recorder are there.

• Love
Reactions: byrdparis
A bit of history:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu