Subjective grading of DAC that I had heard during last one year period.

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
Almost NOBODY likes Pac with 300b and when they do, it tends to be EML 300b XLS or Takatsuki.

You should have tried PX25 or 242, the current fan favourites. No need to spend a lot of money on tube rolling and DONT get Balanced, get SE. Also make sure you gave a good transport and FTA cables. LoL

On another note, try also the cheaper Atlantic GA TRP with engine53 with RK 5u4g recti and GEC KT66 vintage tubes!

Whatever you choose, I hope you are happy long term!
Why do you sugest SE version over balanced?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
Technician suggested to remove 3 tubes in balanced version to become SE version

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Why do you sugest SE version over balanced?
Bal is only beneficial if your entire system is fully balanced, plus as Bonzo said, it’s more of a pain to roll 4 rather than 2 tubes. Bal Dac can run in SE mode of front tube pair are removed. On horizon you would remove the left pair, if I recall correctly.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Right pair

In my system I prefer the Horizon played balanced vs unbalanced. Less noise.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing