Subwoofer addition to setup

rluesc

Jun 4, 2022
Hi there,

My current setup consists of 2x JBL JRX 212 M Speakers, 1x Behringer Europower EP4000 Amplifier and a Xenyx 302usb 5-Input Mixer.

I use this for training in a 600 m2 space. However, I seem to lack some bass.

This is why I'd like to add a subwoofer. My choice would be the JBL EON718S.

Any comments or concerns about my choice? Would that work?

Thanks,
Rafael

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
Personally I'm anti-sub-woofer

Adding subs to existing speakers is a sign that your main speakers were possibly poorly chosen in the first place. Better than adding more boxes (and finding floor space for them), more acoustic complication and more difficulty dealing with room acoustics, consider changing your main speakers with ones that will offer the bass you are looking for. These are designed as coherent full-range speakers and should offer better sound than a compromse of main speakers and subs that are often built by different companies with different house sound - and will be more difficult to set up for best performance.

Just a thought!

rluesc

Jun 4, 2022
Personally I'm anti-sub-woofer

Adding subs to existing speakers is a sign that your main speakers were possibly poorly chosen in the first place. Better than adding more boxes (and finding floor space for them), more acoustic complication and more difficulty dealing with room acoustics, consider changing your main speakers with ones that will offer the bass you are looking for. These are designed as coherent full-range speakers and should offer better sound than a compromse of main speakers and subs that are often built by different companies with different house sound - and will be more difficult to set up for best performance.

Just a thought!
Thanks for your reply Hear Here. Any specific suggestions for this type of speaker?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) I use this for training in a 600 m2 space. However, I seem to lack some bass. (...)

600 m2 for training space? I think such space transcends our usual subwoofer debates.

oldhvymec

VIP/Donor
Mar 25, 2022
I have no idea what 600 M2 space is. But if you wanted a loud system. You are on your way.

18" pro sub and a pair of pro speakers. Fidelity doesn't come to mind.. Ear plugs do.. :)

Regards

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
Thanks for your reply Hear Here. Any specific suggestions for this type of speaker?
Your budget and room size will be important factors, but I personally wouldn't go for a stand-mount if you want bass. A decent floor-stander is what you probably want. Again personally, I prefer speakers with decent-size bass drivers - 10" minimum. My own speaker have twin 12" ones, but these are very costly.

If you add subs to you existing your system, you have paid for 4 (or maybe 3) enclosures, you'll need more speaker cables and the subs need their own amps and XOs. Why go to that expense and complication? Better to sell mediocre main speakers and use the cash towards better main speakers that will provide acceptable bass levels. That's just my opinion though! There's always plenty of good used speakers around at sensible prices that will fill your room with much better sound than your JBLs. Happy hunting.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing