Tagging classical with MusiCHI

Vincent Kars

WBF Technical Expert: Computer Audio
Jul 1, 2010
Tagging classical is most of all a lot of work.
The internet databases in general recognize the CD but the results are often an incoherent mess.

Don't be surprised if you get
Sonate für Klavier und Violine F-dur Opus 24 [Frühling]
Sonata No. 5 "Frühlings - Sonate"
The Violin Sonata No. 5 in F major “Spring”, Opus 24

Often the composer is stored in the artist field and the performer hopefully in the album title.

What you need is tags for Composer and Composition and have them populated in a uniform way.

The MusiCHI tagger addresses these problems.
It has pick list for Composer and Composition.

PickList.jpg

Compositions.jpg

You can also batch process your collection (MusiCHI Clean)

The text processor offers a lot of options to cleanup your tags.

Movement.jpg

I do recommend the MusiCHI Tagger.
It is a real time saver when tagging classical.

Website MusiCHI
Bit more on The Well-Tempered Computer

Old Listener

Jul 18, 2010
SF Bay area
naturelover.smugmug.com
I looked at doing something like this when I was starting in late 2005. The logic of starting from a list of composers and works (and performers) was very attractive. It was easier for me to just use JRiver MC and put my efforts into getting proficient in using it to edit tags. (It takes me about 1 minute per CD now. Dropdown lists and auto-completion/suggestion provide some of the benefits of the MusiCHI approach.) If a tool like MusiCHI had been available then, I certainly would have tried it.

Thanks for bringing word of an interesting application.

Bill

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing