Temporary system

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
At the moment my main system is undergong a metamorphosis. You could easily say it is changing directions by 170 degrees but that is a discussion for another day. In the mean time my wife has let me "borrow" the front room to setup a temporary system. I purchased a pair of Wilson Sophia 3's to serve as an interim solution. I chose these as I can sell them in the not to distant future for pretty much what I paid for them. The rest of the system consists of a Luxman M-300 30W class A amplifier, a CH Precision L1/X1 preamp, a loaded MSB diamond V and an Antipodes K50. The power cables are Shunyata sigma. The interconnects are MIT. As you can see from the photo there is no acoustic treatment in the room except for a thick wool run on the floor. There is no real "tweakery" in the system. No footers, No special outlets. No weights on top of the components. You can see the grounding box in the picture but it was not used for the videos. (Although it does bring a very nice improvement when plugged into the ground post on the back of the Luxman.)

Overall, it sounds very good. The setup has windowed out most of the room but the room is still audible (as you can hear in the videos). It is nice stereo, but you can tell you are listening to a hifi system. Fun to listen -- yes.

I have posted some videos below to give an idea of how the system sounds. The sound was recorded in stereo using a binaural dummy head placed exactly where my head would be. There was no post processing of the audio. You really need to use headphones to get the full experience. And the better the headphones the better the experience.

I hope you enjoy the videos (Or really audio clips)

Reactions: rando

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
This is part of the song "Afterglow" by Lyida Ainsworth. Very bass heavy and enveolping when you listen in person.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
This is Ruth Moody's cover of 'Dancing in the Dark'. Chosen to represent female vocals.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
To represent symphonic music this is Shostakovich symphony 1 Allegretto

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
And the hardest of all music to get to sound good -- piano sonata. This is Shubert Piano Sonata no. 20 Andantino.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing