The Lion King' Official Trailer (2019) | Donald Glover, Seth Rogen, Beyonce

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

Went with the family this afternoon to see the Lion King
It would be tough for me to admit that this new version could be better than the original from 1994. . Boy was I wrong

This film simply put was terrific from start to finish

If there is a downside, the film is 2 hours long and not a film to take kids under the age of 5-6 as their attention span wanes quickly

Having said that Jon Favreau is a genius director and the brain behind the movie

It is difficult to say that this is an animated movie as it looked so real.

The opening to the movie is filmed literally scene by scene identical to the original film

The voice overs were all superb with Seth Rogen probably the best.

I was glued for the entire 2 hours

This is a must see BUT if you're not going with young kids I advise not seeing it at a matinee time

This film will be nominated for many Oscars for sure and likely will win a few.

The film is that good and worth 2 hours of your time. You'll leave the theater with a smile on your face

In spite of my recommendation the film only garnered a 59% on MRQE.com

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

Went with the family this afternoon to see the Lion King
It would be tough for me to admit that this new version could be better than the original from 1994. . Boy was I wrong

This film simply put was terrific from start to finish

If there is a downside, the film is 2 hours long and not a film to take kids under the age of 5-6 as their attention span wanes quickly

Having said that Jon Favreau is a genius director and the brain behind the movie

It is difficult to say that this is an animated movie as it looked so real.

The opening to the movie is filmed literally scene by scene identical to the original film

The voice overs were all superb with Seth Rogen probably the best.

I was glued for the entire 2 hours

This is a must see BUT if you're not going with young kids I advise not seeing it at a matinee time

This film will be nominated for many Oscars for sure and likely will win a few.

The film is that good and worth 2 hours of your time. You'll leave the theater with a smile on your face

In spite of my recommendation the film only garnered a 59% on MRQE.com
Thank you. I was questioning if I should take my 4 years old to see since it is no cartoon. My son and I must have watched the Lion King part 1,2,3 over three hundred times...every time we commuted in our van. My son is the biggest fan. He said when he misses me he looks up the sky like Simba looked up to Mufasa. I just melted.

Tang :)

Reactions: NorthStar

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
We went yesterday with my wife's grandchildren. And while I most certainly enjoyed the movie (touching story line), I was less enthusiastic than Steve about this film vs the original - with the exception that it was hard for me to believe I was not looking at real animals. Simply incredible. I couldn't help but flash back to the early animated films my folks took me to when I was a child. Some serious technological progress in the last 60 years. If the film doesn't win some kind of technology awards, I will be amazed. The photography was stunning. And the grand kids, of course, loved it.

The same day, we stayed for the re-make of Aladdin. Will Smith can be a very funny guy, but in my opinion, he falls way short of Robin Williams for this role. Again, the photography was stunning but for me, this just worked better as an animated movie.

In the FWIW category, these are the only movies I have seen in theaters this year and in fact, the only time I have been in a theater in the last 4 or 5 years is to be with grand kids. Yesterday reminded me why: Volume too loud (from someone who watches action films in my theater at very high volume); screechy vocals/unbalanced audio; noisy audiences. I've invested what I have in a video chain and audio gear so I don't have to be subjected to this nonsense.

That said, I would like to hear at least once, what a great commercial theater can do with one of the current high octane Atmos films.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
We went yesterday with my wife's grandchildren. And while I most certainly enjoyed the movie (touching story line), I was less enthusiastic than Steve about this film vs the original - with the exception that it was hard for me to believe I was not looking at real animals. Simply incredible. I couldn't help but flash back to the early animated films my folks took me to when I was a child. Some serious technological progress in the last 60 years. If the film doesn't win some kind of technology awards, I will be amazed. The photography was stunning. And the grand kids, of course, loved it.

The same day, we stayed for the re-make of Aladdin. Will Smith can be a very funny guy, but in my opinion, he falls way short of Robin Williams for this role. Again, the photography was stunning but for me, this just worked better as an animated movie.

In the FWIW category, these are the only movies I have seen in theaters this year and in fact, the only time I have been in a theater in the last 4 or 5 years is to be with grand kids. Yesterday reminded me why: Volume too loud (from someone who watches action films in my theater at very high volume); screechy vocals/unbalanced audio; noisy audiences. I've invested what I have in a video chain and audio gear so I don't have to be subjected to this nonsense.

That said, I would like to hear at least once, what a great commercial theater can do with one of the current high octane Atmos films.

We saw it in an excellent theater. The sound track was superb

However this is a 2 hour movie and young kids attention span is much shorter so there was a lot of raucous at the matinee we attended. It seems you too were amazed at the graphic imagines had me completely believing they were real

I thought especially the hyenas for me looked so real

The 1994 original was certainly epic but this new version takes animation to a whole different level

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
The 1994 original was certainly epic but this new version takes animation to a whole different level

That's for sure. The adults who saw it with me also found it difficult to believe that at least some of the animal were not real. I can't image the technology that makes that possible and/or the man-hours required to put all of that together.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
They brought James Earl Jones back, but not Jeremy Irons????? WTF?????? The new Scar is the new pussycat. Irons is only 18 years younger than JEJ...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing