The Opportunity To Dance Tax in Washington State

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I get weekly emails from one of my favorite concert venues, The Tractor Tavern. Today's email included the following (and no, I am not making this up!):

"The 'Opportunity to Dance Tax' was originally put in place in the 1980s as a tax on aerobics studios, jazzercise classes and other recreational activities. The tax has never been applied to businesses like ours in previous years, and now multiple clubs throughout Washington are facing severe financial setbacks based on the reconciliation of retroactive tax bills for allowing attendees the 'opportunity to dance' in their venues.

IF THE DANCE TAX GOES IN TO EFFECT TICKET PRICES WILL BE FORCED TO INCREASE 10%
AS IT WILL BE LEVIED ON TO THE TOTAL TICKET FEE.

There is now a new fast-moving effort led by State Senator Ed Murray who has introduced Bill 5613 that will solve this issue if approved.

HOW CAN YOU HELP?

Please write Senator Andy Hill and fellow committee members today to share your support for Bill 5613 to pass at the scheduled hearing taking place this Thursday, February 21st.

email: andy.hill@leg.wa.gov

Find your legislative district here and contact committee members from this list:

linda.parlette@leg.wa.gov
barbara.bailey@leg.wa.gov
jim.hargrove@leg.wa.gov
sharon.nelson@leg.wa.gov
jim.honeyford@leg.wa.gov
bob.hasegawa@leg.wa.gov
mark.schoesler@leg.wa.gov
mike.hewitt@leg.wa.gov
ann.rivers@leg.wa.gov
brian.hatfield@leg.wa.gov
michael.baumgartner@leg.wa.gov
steve.conway@leg.wa.gov
john.braun@leg.wa.gov
karen.fraser@leg.wa.gov
randi.becker@leg.wa.gov
bruce.dammeier@leg.wa.gov

We encourage you to join us at the hearing is in Olympia this Thursday, February 21st at 3:00pm.
Senate Hearing Rm 4
J.A. Cherberg Building
298 15th Ave. SW
Olympia, WA 98504

If you write to your legislator, here's some info:

- This tax is being inconsistently and unfairly applied to only some music venues, threatening their survival

- Venues owners have tried to work with the Department of Revenue,
but the DoR has been unable to provide clear direction for when an "opportunity to dance" exists

- Other venues have been audited and not charged the tax"

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
This is a joke right?

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
NYC has long had a cabaret license requirement- I gather it was first put into place to limit interracial dancing in Harlem, but Rudy G. rediscovered it and ramped it up. Not a tax, per se, but the requirements for compliance are pretty rigorous and there is a periodic license fee. See http://www.nyc.gov/html/dca/html/licenses/073.shtml

More recently, NY State decided that lap and pole dancing are subject to taxation-
be interesting to consider how they measure the benefit for tax purposes.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Are lap and pole dancing mutually exclusive? :D

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Different tax structure. Also depends on the pole.

I was thinking along the lines that if you were the recipient of a lap dance, there could be a pole involved.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I was thinking along the lines that if you were the recipient of a lap dance, there could be a pole involved.

Yep, requires a specialized tax assessor. Don't worry, they are ramping that up.*
*Non-political statement disclaimer.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
Yep, requires a specialized tax assessor...

Generally speaking, I'm against this sort of rabid nonsensical government invasion, but in this case...

Where do I send my resume? :D

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing