The Weiss DAC 204 - Have you heard this stunning little DAC?

Tannoyista

Jul 19, 2018
Great Britain
www.tannoyista.com
Hi all.

As some of you might have read my Weiss DAC-204 Review. I just thought I'd ask if anyone here has had a chance to hear it?

Over the past few months, I've been using the 204 almost every day and I have to say, with my very favorable review impressions aside, it's simply stunning. The sound from this little thing really breaks the mould. I'd normally say that this has now passed it's burn-in period, but it just keeps on getting better.

The amount of detail and weight gets me everytime. I've now re-kindled my entire CD collection which has been in my cupboard for ages.

Not only that, but DSD playback as well as my other digital versions have also never sounded so good.

Weiss have always been one of my more respected manufacturers ever since the 90s. And, to me, the 204 is one of the most impressive pieces of kit I've used to date.

The flexibility of this thing also rings out as pretty awsome too. Although I don't really use some of the connections, it doesn't mean I never will, so it's really nice to have something I don't need to worry about for future connections which, in all, makes it worth every penny.

WEISS_01.webp

WEISS_02.webp

WEISS_07.webp

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi,

First thanks for your sharing.

I have one and I couldn't be more happier, it's so much more detailed than my old hegel HD30 , more dynamic, it seems more in control and after few months keeps improving, I'm still planning to upgrade my power supply, now I'm using the HDplex 400 atx linear power supply with 9v output. Which power supply do you guys have and tested ?

I have the Plixir Elite BDC 9v/2A with my DAC204 and I’m very happy.
But I never try other LPS.

Reactions: amolan
Hi guys.

That's great, it's an amazing little thing.

The matching linear power supply is very intriguing. I'm currently using the standard power supply and so I'm hopefully going to test the matching one in the future.

Watch this space.

What kind of sources and connections are you using with 204? I'm currently using a broadcast cd player and my laptop using Foobar. But I'm looking to use a different front-end like Volumio or the like.

I fell out of favour a little bit with streaming software like Moode, so it would be great to know what you guys use.

S/PDIF calls for 75 ohm connection. Why does Weiss use a 50 ohm BNC?
Someone at Weiss made the decision to put a 50 ohm connector on the BOM and for potential customers, who recognize small details like that, it makes Weiss product design look sloppy.

S/PDIF calls for 75 ohm connection. Why does Weiss use a 50 ohm BNC?
Someone at Weiss made the decision to put a 50 ohm connector on the BOM and for potential customers, who recognize small details like that, it makes Weiss product design look sloppy.
The BNC connector is part of a choice of digital outputs along side RCA and XLR.

So it's covering all bases in that respect.

Not sloppy at all.

I'd rather have the choice, than not.

Last edited:
Hi guys.

That's great, it's an amazing little thing.

The matching linear power supply is very intriguing. I'm currently using the standard power supply and so I'm hopefully going to test the matching one in the future.

Watch this space.

What kind of sources and connections are you using with 204? I'm currently using a broadcast cd player and my laptop using Foobar. But I'm looking to use a different front-end like Volumio or the like.

I fell out of favour a little bit with streaming software like Moode, so it would be great to know what you guys use.

I'm currently using USB with a heavily modded PC ( Windows server 2022 + Audiophile Optimizer + Jplay Femto ).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu