Tonearm wire, silver or copper?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Have been musing the possibility of switching from silver to copper.
Currently using a one-piece Zavfino Litz silver wire into Bocchino platinum RCAs in my Terminator air bearing LT.
I had tried my stock copper wire as a swap out for a while, and was pleasantly surprised how well it held up, superior to the silver wire in some ways.
I was expecting a warmer tonality at expense of some loss of resolution, but didn't feel any detail was omitted.
Seriously considering getting another copper wire made up, just curious about people's experiences of running these, and those who've switched from silver to copper.

Last edited:
I moved from a silver Kondo tonearm cable to a copper based custom LFD cable through Mik at Unique Audio. The LFD slaughtered the Kondo. My experience is that copper or silver doesn't much matter, its all about how the baseline metal is implemented or configured in that particular cable.

So... based on my experience, if I was you exploring a new tonearm cable now (I'm definitely not) I would probably try a few different configurations of copper or silver & I'd p r o b a b l y lean a little bit toward copper. But with a very open mind for either.

The Zavfino tonearm cables are excellent
They are, I'm just trying to work around a possible hardness/lack of natural warmth, or spotlighting of higher frequencies, that the Zavfino silver *may* be contributing to/responsible for.

Reactions: Jackl3y
I moved from a silver Kondo tonearm cable to a copper based custom LFD cable through Mik at Unique Audio. The LFD slaughtered the Kondo. My experience is that copper or silver doesn't much matter, its all about how the baseline metal is implemented or configured in that particular cable.

So... based on my experience, if I was you exploring a new tonearm cable now (I'm definitely not) I would probably try a few different configurations of copper or silver & I'd p r o b a b l y lean a little bit toward copper. But with a very open mind for either.
Sure, as our fearless leader Ron always says, "implementation trumps theory".
In the short time I ran my stock copper wire, it was deffo warmer and more immersive than my specially made up silver wire, but no deficit on resolution/detail retrieval.
A little like my new TT mat, which has a warmer more textured presentation, but as much or more resolution than my stock mat.

Reactions: Chop
Even silver headshell wires were too much for me.
If you don’t mind a bit of prog, Greg Lakes side if Works vol 1 starts with a steel stringed guitar that rather highlights the effect of silver, my silver couled cartridge doesn’t seem to be a problem but the silver Litz wires that came with my Korf make those strings sound like no strings ever should, whatever they’re made of. Some copper wires packed with a Dynavector were something of a relief after those.

Ah, I have that album. Will check that torture test out.

That’s very strange. Whatever I hear with good silver wire like Kondo, Audio Consulting and AN UK is the opposite. The best setups I heard are based on especially on silver inside out from cartridge coils to powercords. IMHO it is better to look where the problem lies instead of switching from silver to copper.

That’s very strange. Whatever I hear with good silver wire like Kondo, Audio Consulting and AN UK is the opposite. The best setups I heard are based on especially on silver inside out from cartridge coils to powercords. IMHO it is better to look where the problem lies instead of switching from silver to copper.
I agree. Luckily it costs very little (as compared to other changes) to try copper wire.
I believe my Sablon loom is copper, I wonder if consistency here is advantageous.

As well as the formation of the conductor, the dialectric has a big impact on the sonics. I have gone off PTFE and prefer Polyethylene.

My choices are pure silver or copper, four stands each 0.14mm thickness.
No dialectic.

Sensible & cost effective
Famous last words of the audiophile.
I wonder if those words will be written on my headstone?

• Haha
Reactions: Chop and mtemur
My choices are pure silver or copper, four stands each 0.14mm thickness.
No dialectic.
I’m sure the answer is obvious, but… how do you keep them from shorting together?

I’m sure the answer is obvious, but… how do you keep them from shorting together?
Looking at the website, each strand is enamel coated, using a 2UEW dielectric.

Reactions: Zarir
copper is fine. silver is better for low-level signal applications. It has lower resistance.

Reactions: mtemur
Spirit, have you considered Cardas Clear tonearm wiring? I use it in my last 2 tonearms and love it. Scroll down on this page to the 34x4 Clear tonearm wire. They have shielded and un, I think about you said you need unshielded...

https://www.cardas.com/bulk-cable

Spirit, have you considered Cardas Clear tonearm wiring? I use it in my last 2 tonearms and love it. Scroll down on this page to the 34x4 Clear tonearm wire. They have shielded and un, I think about you said you need unshielded...

https://www.cardas.com/bulk-cable
Indeed, this is the very copper wire I'm considering.
You prefer to silver wire?

Indeed, this is the very copper wire I'm considering.
You prefer to silver wire?
The only comparison I have is to the Kondo Silver wire normally in the Safir 9 arm. I got to demo the Safir 9 wired in Kondo Silver, and kept hearing something that I didn't like in MY system. Others report differently, but I don't think they have heard the Safir 9 I bought wired in Cardas Clear.

So yes I prefer. Greatly. Takes some breaking in as usual, I just played LP's for 100 hours or so and you can hear it relax and open up.

Kondo was too unwieldy for my tonearm, so no comparo possible. I'm detecting just a *hint* of hardness/etched quality in my system, and I seem to remember my stock copper wire had less/none of this.
So...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing