UltraAnalogue Recording's first solo recordings of 2013 Van Cliburn Comp. Gold Medal Winner - Vadym Kholodenko

Edward Pong

Industry Expert
Jun 24, 2013
Locust Hill, Ontario
I'm very excited to release my first solo recordings of Vadym Kholodenko (4 tapes) - he creates a sound like no other pianist I've heard & on these tapes, it is extraordinary!
Here is a taste of that concert:

1) Beethoven Bagatelles & Beethoven Rondo
2) Mozart Fantasia K.475 & Mozart Piano Sonata K.457
3) Godowsky Studies after Chopin Nos.1,4,5,6,16,22,18A,39,42
4) Godowsky Studies after Chopin No.43 & Encores: Rachmaninov Prelude, Tchaikovsky Troika & Medtner Fairy Tales

The Godowsky Studies are transcriptions of the Chopin Etudes & his purpose was to make these even harder than they already are... these are the ultimate test of the left hand, as he's reversed the roles of the right & left hand, with the melody being played mostly by the left hand & often, the whole etude is played by the left hand ONLY!

I'm working on a video of only the keyboard camera as it is fascinating to watch the Godowsky Studies - his fingers seem to be dancing effortlessly on the keyboard..

These tapes will be released on the website in early December!

Ed

Reactions: Steve Williams

Deepender

Feb 2, 2017
I have lived with all four of these tapes for some time now and have played each multiple times, and I must say they represent a level of pianistic virtuosity rarely encountered in a commercially available recording in any format - each reel, of course, presented in the resplendent sonics we’ve all come to expect from the estimable Ed Pong and his singularly unique recording chain - so needless to say, my highest recommendation!

Last edited:

johnmburke

Jan 6, 2020
I have lived with all four of these tapes for some time now and have played each multiple times, and I must say they represent a level of pianistic virtuosity rarely encountered in a commercially available recording in any format - each reel, of course, presented in the resplendent sonics we’ve all come to expect from the estimable Ed Pong and his singularly unique recording chain - so needless to say, my highest recommendation!
Just finished listening to Ultraanalogue’s Beethoven Piano Sonata 30. A beautifully recorded, subtle, musically rich composition. Beethoven’s genius is perhaps is clearly demonstrated in his “slow” movements such as the intricately fashioned 3rd. movement. The beauty of wellrecorded tape is that each note can be savored and enjoyed. Well done Dr. Pong!
John Burke, PhD

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing