Unpowered USB cables

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
I think I might have started the trend several years ago to drop the voltage / vbus line from my usb cables where the dac would happily operate without one. As such, I feel slightly responsible for some of the confusion arising from this subject.....

Why would you want to use an unpowered cable? Well, quite simply it sounds better as it prevents noise from the server from being carried into the dac. This means that you can get away with a simplified and shorter cable, which I offer at a lower price than my regular model. Cheaper and better, what’s not to like?!?

Who can use an unpowered cable? Unfortunately only a handful of brands manage to enact server handshake / recognition without vbus and they all happen to use either Amanero or JLSounds usb input cards. Lampizator, Mojo Audio, Matrix X-Spdif, Nagra, SOTM TX Ultra and T&A are some widely owned examples.

A word to the wise - several dac builders over the years have answered incorrectly when asked whether their dacs can operate in this manner - so if in doubt, you most likely need a vbus cable even if the dac powers its usb input internally. In a similar vein, some servers themselves will need a voltage cable for handshake even if the dac doesn’t, however these are in a minority.

You can easily test this out at home by putting a piece of tape over the pin one metal contact of the dac’s usb input to isolate vbus and seeing if your system plays music afterwards. If so, you will likely have already achieved an improvement in sound quality with your existing usb cable. Free upgrade!

Reactions: Alrainbow and sujay

Macattack

VIP/Donor
Aug 21, 2014
SC Low country
Good post!

Reactions: Sablon Audio

Clipper

Feb 7, 2020
Just ordered one ??

Reactions: Sablon Audio

Clipper

Feb 7, 2020
Just took delivery early this afternoon ,.Great work Mark ! ,..,,Sorry for the cliche’ remark ,,... ,,..””A vail has been lifted“ and cold out of the box at that ,...

engadin

Apr 23, 2022
So a not powered USB cable would be preferred between Taiko extreme and T+A SD 3100hv?

I had asked T+A the same question just before the weekend, but am still waiting for their answer.

TIA for your information!

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
Afaik, that model now has a Thessycon input rather than the Amanero of earlier models and I am no longer sure if that operates without vbus. The best way to make sure is to put a piece of tape over pin one of the input socket to isolate the contact and see if it works. No disrespect to T+A however many dac producers misunderstand this issue of whether vbus is required simply because they source power internally but don’t realise it might also be needed for server handshake.

engadin

Apr 23, 2022
I just phutzed around with a strip of paper, my laptop and the USB input of the SD 3100 hv.
Well cannot be sure the paper strip disconnected other pins as well, but several attempts showed “no signal”, so most probably this dac wants a powered USB for handshake.

Hmmm.

engadin

Apr 23, 2022
T+A has confirmed: their SD 3100 hv needs a powered USB cable.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing