Upgrading Right and Left Main Channels in a Multichannel System with a "High End" 2 Channel Preamp and Amp

Roborad

Aug 16, 2020
I currently have a somewhat now dated Classe SSP-800 multichannel controller with most multichannel music coming from a Wolf Audio Alpha 3SX music server via HDMI. The multichannel amp is also a somewhat dated Lexicon L7. I would like to start updating the preamp/amp side of the system with a "high end" right and left channel. I am interested in the Luxman C900 preamp and Luxman M900 amp. My question concerns the necessity of the Luxman C900 preamp. In Robert Harley's book " The Complete Guide to High End Audio" in a situation such as this, he makes a point that if you want uncompromised musical performance, you will need both a controller (such as the Classe SSP-800) and a separate preamplifier. Would the Luxman C900 preamp add significant benefit if the the audio signal is passed through the Classe for digital to analog conversion first. Alternatively, if I obtained an updated multichannel DAC and sent the right and left channels directly to the Luxman preamp and surround channels to the Classe through analog bypass, would that likely be a significantly better (but more expensive) solution? Sorry for the long background but I would appreciate any advice.

Wine Doctor

Sep 5, 2020
I have my Wolf Audio Alpha 3SX feeding a Trinnov Altitude 16 for multi-channel listening and feeding a D'Agostino Momentum HD pre-amp for stereo listening. When listening in multi-channel, the main left and right front outputs from the Trinnov are directed to the "Theater" inputs on the D'Agostino pre-amp and that input to the D'Agostino is simply sent directly though to the D'Agostino Momentum amp that I use for the main left and right front channels. The results in both stereo and multi-channel are superb. When listening to multi-channel, the Trinnov acts as the pre-amp for the left and right front channels and there is no need for an additional pre-amp; the D'Agostino is simply a pass-through connection to the amp for those channels. The Trinnov is an excellent DAC and pre-amp in its own right and it can be configured for two channel listening with a quality level that is close to the D'Agostino pre-amp.

In addition to using the D'Agostino Momentum amp to drive the left and right front speakers, I use a Lexicon L7 to drive several of my surround and overhead speakers. I think that the Lexicon still provides good quality sound for the less-demanding surround and overhead speakers, while the left and right front speakers (Wilson Audio Alexia 2s) really benefit from the higher quality provided by the D'Agastino amp.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Alternatively, if I obtained an updated multichannel DAC and sent the right and left channels directly to the Luxman preamp and surround channels to the Classe through analog bypass, would that likely be a significantly better (but more expensive) solution?
That will work. However, the problem with that is that you cannot control the volume in synch on all the channels since the L/R is managed by the Luxman and the rest by the Classe. Of course, if you can control volume from the player app in the Wolf (Roon or JRiver likely) or if your choice of multichannel DAC has an acceptable volume control that is a solution. That can, also, permit you to go directly to the amps without any intervening preamps, stereo or multichannel.

Another option is a switch that will direct the L/R to the Classe or to the Luxman or directy to the amps.

It is up to you to decide (if you can) if the potential compromise of having only the L/R channels go through the Luxman although only for multichannel is a real concern.

Roborad

Aug 16, 2020
Thanks, Kal. I honestly had not thought about the volume control synchronization between the Luxman and Classe. I will check on using both options (using the control app in Roon or using a volume control on a multichannel DAC. Incidentally, do you know if the new Exasound e68 multichannel DAC will have a volume control that would work in this situation? I understand this new DAC will be available in the very near future.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Thanks, Kal. I honestly had not thought about the volume control synchronization between the Luxman and Classe. I will check on using both options (using the control app in Roon or using a volume control on a multichannel DAC).
The problem with the VC in Roon is that is lacks a knob. Critical for me.
Incidentally, do you know if the new Exasound e68 multichannel DAC will have a volume control that would work in this situation? I understand this new DAC will be available in the very near future.
I have no comment.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing