USB cable recommended?

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Reading the forum in last several weeks/months it seems to me that USB type of connection is somewhat becoming or it already is a second tier connection type where more and more users are choosing good old spdif or eas/ebu (me also using spdif often) while other with the units capable of i2s are pushing for the crystal clear signal via this one. I won't even mention XDMI of the Taiko/Lampi latest developments. Still some still use good old USB hence its worth to explore viable options in this domain.
After living for years with FTA Callisto and Sinope I've sized the opportunity when I was receiving back my units from Edisoncreation to order his reference USB cable. Not to write about the spec I'll just do copy/paste of the specification and basic info from the website which is located here: https://ediscreation.com/product/reference-silver-usb-cable/
Specifications:
- Perfectly Polished 5N Sterling Silver Cores:
The cable features impeccably polished 5N sterling silver cores, offering superior conductivity and signal purity.
- Independent Insulation: The cable is designed with independent insulation material that effectively reduces crosstalk, ensuring clear and uninterrupted sound.
- Special Spinning Shield Construction: This advanced design feature further enhances signal clarity and reduces interference.
- Special Isolated 5V Shield Construction: This feature effectively isolates the voltage, reducing any possible interference and enhancing audio quality.
- Carbon Isolation Technology: This advanced technology further minimizes interference, ensuring a flawless signal path for your audio.
- Custom-Made EMI Block: A specially designed EMI Block reduces electromagnetic interference, ensuring pristine and uninterrupted audio transmission.

Look and feel:
Cable is packed in a very very neat box which gives immediate feel of the premium product. Cable as such is as well looking impeccable and you can see attention to details in the production. It is very flexible which in my book is a huge plus.

Sonics:
Break in with the standard ups and downs lasted for good 100+ hours which I expected and was advised by Edison about it I did not pay too much attention to overall presentation but the cable sounded good/great from the get to.
Now as I've been using it for the last good two months I can with confidence say that this particular cable is ticking my USB cable boxes by any means and definitely is a keeper. It is extremely fast, reveling and detailed but not on the fatiguing side but rather in a pleasant and musically engaging way. Nothing is popping out of the picture where it should not, vocals & mids are seductive and in the "room" somehow. I always like to mention "extensions" and this cable is excelling in this regard. Bass is deep and firm while high frequencies and super nicely extended while tonally it is also spot on.
Actually if I roll back the film a bit in my head - it brought me back to the beginning of my story - I'm again daily using USB connection which i scrapped for the slight superiority of the spdif one.

Price:
I'm ashamed to mention it, as someone or even many, will say that this price point has nothing to do with "reference" product, being used to pay in numbers with close to, or with minimum three zeros after the first number.
Well this particular one starts for a change with zero followed by dot and number 4 and k (0.4k). Yes - its a real deal in this insane audio price matrix we live in. If you have a need for this type of connecting cable make sure you give it a try!
King is dead long live the king! Pure bingo by Edison
IMG_2394.jpeg IMG_2395.jpeg IMG_2398.jpeg

Last edited:

Sunra

Jul 16, 2018
I have a Curious USB cable, it is about 6 inches long. I just tried a 1M Pangea and to my surprise it sounded better! Is it because of the longer length or the cable itself? I know the Pangea usb is considered an el cheap- o cable, can someone recommend something better?

Thanks,
ozzy.
I had a Curious Evolve USB and was suspicious of its sound. To my ear slightly thin sounding. I tried a WireWorld Starlight Platium 7 and never reinserted the Curious cable.

Tuckers

VIP/Donor
Nov 18, 2020
I'm just checking in about the Mad Scientist Black Magic Ultra USB. Some members tried it a year ago (@

Miki70).​

I recently got a used Black Magic Standard USB cable, and have really been liking it. I also have a number of Mad Scientists Nano tweaks which I have applied to cables and circuits that are really fabulous. I am a fan of their sound and science.

Compared to my reference (which is a cable I built and modded) the Back Magic has significantly more naturalness, richer tonality, with more musical details (not technical details). However, compared to my cable, it doesn't have the tight deeper bass or the focus, images are a bit blown up and less precise.

But the overall musicality is really addictive though. Two examples. In an album close miked piano, I can hear the strings detuning or going off key with some hammer strikes that I didn't hear before. On one of my favorite albums, there is a Balinese Gamelan in the background, and the instrument sounds much more like a Gamelan instead of just some percussion with brass bowls etc. This is not the same as technical detail, its more musical detail.

The one comparison I have found online between the Ultra and the Standard is that it improves upon bass depth and tightness, and precision and focus. Hence my interest in the Ultra. Also, their review of the standard aligns with my experience as well. Anybody have more experience with it?

Last edited:

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hi, Calvin. It was my full intention to be down there this year. I was planning on it and was looking VERY forward to it but my work demands dictated that I could not make it, unfortunately. I'll try again to make it down for LASF but there are a lot of moving parts to that equation at the moment.

Tom

Calvinj

Aug 1, 2022
Hi, Calvin. It was my full intention to be down there this year. I was planning on it and was looking VERY forward to it but my work demands dictated that I could not make it, unfortunately. I'll try again to make it down for LASF but there are a lot of moving parts to that equation at the moment.

Tom
Ok I have a room and Infigo will be showing this year with Gato speakers and all Infigo gear and cables. We have a new cryogenic USB. Come check us out. I will tell you the room soon

GroovySauce

Nov 9, 2020
I received the Ediscreation Reference Silver USB Cable yesterday @Golum did a great and accurate run down of the cable, thank you!

The first song was impressive. I was expecting to play a few songs then transfer the cable to the living room system to burnin for a week or two then bring it back to the main system. Nope, I'm going to happily listen to it. After I get 100+ hours I'll put the Snake River Audio USB back in and see which I end up with long term.

Tuckers

VIP/Donor
Nov 18, 2020
I broke down and bought a Mad Scientist Black Magic Gold USB cable. It took a very long time to break in and settle down. Four days on the AudioDharma Cable Cooker (usual source cables only take two days tops), and another 200 hours play time to sound its best. Until that time it sounded a bit bright and thin. Now that its broken in it is by far the best USB cable I have heard. Deepest and tautest bass, extended highs without fatigue or spotlighting, very organic and natural presentation and midrange. All music sounds much closer to master tape and much more analogue. I don't regret it!

Phantom-Audio

Apr 23, 2017
Jakarta
www.phantom-audio.com
I have placed an order for the Albedo Mono-Crystal USB Cable and will provide an update on this once it arrives.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing