Very happy with my Impressions 11A. Now performing on the next level...

The Knife

Nov 13, 2020
Stockholm, Sweden
Good evening everyone,

I know a recording with an iPhone does not make my impression at home justice but anyway, maybe it give you some direction.

And: trying out a new power cord to the R1000: The WW Silver Electra 7. Tiny subtle improvements in tone quality, dynamics and three-dimensional image focus despite only 2 hours of burn in.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
I'm delighted you like your 11As. I bought 13As a couple of years ago and, although I thought I'd done my homework, I did a stupid thing and bought them after just reading reviews (all good) and a showroom demo (also good) without arranging a home demo first. Unfortunately they didn't like my room at all and sounded worse than the 17 year old Avantgarde Unos I planned the MLs to replace. Sadly the MLs had to be sold and sadder still, the eventaual replacement speakers were much more costly than the 13As!

Happy listening.

Reactions: The Knife

The Knife

Nov 13, 2020
Stockholm, Sweden
Hi Hear-Here,
Yes. Room acoustics is extremely important. I invested almost half as much in good dampening material (furniture's, carpets, curtains) in the listening room as in the electronics it self. The really great uplift did not come with any electronics, it came with 24 meters in total of special heavy fabric curtains from Germany. If I understand it correctly you have a very particular listening room. Great view, but a lot of glass windows?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Good evening everyone,

I know a recording with an iPhone does not make my impression at home justice but anyway, maybe it give you some direction.

Trying out a new power cord to the R1000: The WW Silver Electra 7. Tiny subtle improvements in tone quality, dynamics and three-dimensional image focus despite only 2 hours of burn in.

Enjoy!

Were you really moving about with the phone while recording this?

The Knife

Nov 13, 2020
Stockholm, Sweden
Were you really moving about with the phone while recording this?
Not sure I understand your question. I put on the Music, and started a normal video recording with my Iphone Xs Max. Very amateurs' like. Wanted to show you both the electronics and the ML´s. Had to keep it short. Max 1 min. No fancy subscription with youtube.

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
Hi Hear-Here,
Yes. Room acoustics is extremely important. I invested almost half as much in good dampening material (furniture's, carpets, curtains) in the listening room as in the electronics it self. The really great uplift did not come with any electronics, it came with 24 meters in total of special heavy fabric curtains from Germany. If I understand it correctly you have a very particular listening room. Great view, but a lot of glass windows?

With my room, it started off with very poor acoustics as it was a new build with hard wood flooring, no carpets or curtains, little soft furnishing and, as you say, a massive 425 sq ft of windows! After adding 30% carpetting, light curtains (always open!) and more soft furnishing, it's now pretty good acoustically. The trouble with the MLs was their placement in the room - either side of a central column with 12 and 15 ft behind them, so no opportunity to harvest the 50% of sound energy that these speakers send backwards. Horns are much better, as they are very directional and reflective surfaces have little effect. However their sweet spot is small. I'm considering the other extreme compared with horns - omni directional speakers, though my dealer demos have shown that their imaging is rather wooly compared with horns or electrostatics. They sound great in many other respects, but the impression that a singer is sitting on my equipment rack and singing just for me is not there.

The Knife

Nov 13, 2020
Stockholm, Sweden
Yes. What you say all make sense. Dynamic woofer constructions as well as horn has a more direct energy flow. Now, of course all speakers are room sensitive but maybe ML´s more then other. Give them a proper room do, and you have companions for life. I think they are one of the few constructions that also melt into a modern home, design wise, and that with bravura. I saw a pair of MLs for the first time in my life at age 14, roaming, around in my childhood city. I recall it there was one smaller kind of exotic boutique dealer that offered them. I never seen anything like it before. Back then ultimate high end to me was basically B&W and you "made it" if you owned a pair. Standing in front of the mighty transparent towers, I remember I was totally stunned. I knew already then I would be a Martin Logan man, once I grew up and had some money.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Not sure I understand your question. I put on the Music, and started a normal video recording with my Iphone Xs Max. Very amateurs' like. Wanted to show you both the electronics and the ML´s. Had to keep it short. Max 1 min. No fancy subscription with youtube.
Did you sit in the sweet spot or moved around while recording?

The Knife

Nov 13, 2020
Stockholm, Sweden
Did you sit in the sweet spot or moved around while recording?
I moved around. I started in the office where I keep the electronics and then slowly moved to the sweet spot. Unfortunately only 10 secs or so of the film is in the sweet spot. I might film a full minute in the sweet spot if that would make sense. But I mean the recording capacity of an Iphone XS is quite limited, don't you think?

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
I think they are one of the few constructions that also melt into a modern home, design wise, and that with bravura. I saw a pair of MLs for the first time in my life at age 14, roaming, around in my childhood city.
Like you I heard my first MLs and remembered the experience for dacades. This was in a London shopping mall (outside the shop with shoppers passing by) and I was astonished by its looks and the excellent sound from such a design. I like their transparecy and that of course was a good reason for choosing ML over others such as Quad, as they didn't block my view too much.

Attachments

• IMG_5951.JPG
    IMG_5951.JPG
    489.5 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: Audire

The Knife

Nov 13, 2020
Stockholm, Sweden
Like you I heard my first MLs and remembered the experience for dacades. This was in a London shopping mall (outside the shop with shoppers passing by) and I was astonished by its looks and the excellent sound from such a design. I like their transparecy and that of course was a good reason for choosing ML over others such as Quad, as they didn't block my view too much.
The Horns however also make a very nice and good looking pair of speakers. They are somewhat of a statement! And they sound fabulous. I know there are many that swear by them as the best sound in the world. And that is the fantastic thing about our sport. There are something for everyone and there are many sound signatures to choose from!

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
The Horns however also make a very nice and good looking pair of speakers. They are somewhat of a statement! And they sound fabulous. I know there are many that swear by them as the best sound in the world. And that is the fantastic thing about our sport. There are something for everyone and there are many sound signatures to choose from!
I note that you have Gaia IIs under the 11As. When I bought my 13As, I also fitted Gaia IIs but the supplied threads were too short as the fitting holes in the base of these speakers have 2 purposes - to allow a hex spanner in to remove the amp tray and (further in) an 8 mm thread for the supplied spikes or soft feet. Gaia theads were not quite long enough for secure fixing. I contacted IsoAcoustic and they were unaware of this problem with ML speakers, but they agreed to make suitable extended threads for ML Owners. If you haven't already got these long threads, just contact IsoAcoustic and they'll send you a set. I dealt with the very helpful Sean Morrison - sean.morrison@isoacoustics.com Peter

The Knife

Nov 13, 2020
Stockholm, Sweden
Thanks !

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing