WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
G4U

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Just my advice/ If you love physical media, buy a turntable.

A TT is a great investment. We enjoy ours a lot - two arms with an Opus 1 and MSL Signature Platinum carts. However, with our next upgrade (Vitus MP Line stage, CD, and new DAC - either the Ideon Absolute E + Time or the Lampi Horizon, the later hasn’t arrived for eval yet) our digital will be as good or perhaps even surpass our TT. We're still keeping our TT, but having various forms of media playback that are each excellent is what we are after.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Unfortunately, TT vs DAc is still apples and oranges by means of comparison. You will love the Horizon. My relatively modest digital setup provides incredible detail and realism. often, I find myself wowed with even unknown artist.
I can't explain it.

Reactions: Audire

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Unfortunately, TT vs DAc is still apples and oranges by means of comparison. You will love the Horizon. My relatively modest digital setup provides incredible detail and realism. often, I find myself wowed with even unknown artist.
I can't explain it.

I’m excited to demo the Horizon for sure. Some people have already made tube suggestions for it as well. The extra tubes sound like an another level of goodness.

But the Ideon Absolute E + Time is by far the best DAC I’ve ever heard “to date” - including the MSB Select II which so many people here have raved about in the past. So, the Horizon will be very very special if it exceeds the Ideon. I’m looking forward to the Horizon demo.

The Vitus MP Line Stage is very special as well. We only heard the Vitus SL-103 Signature Line Stage and with the Ideon and it almost equals our our TT. Going up to the Vitus Masterpiece (their top Pre) will surely improve what we previously heard with the Vitus Signature + Ideon. I never dreamed that Digital would ever be this good.

Last edited:
Reactions: facten

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
If i may be a bit presumptuous. Steve has the optimum Horizon setup. If you are anywhere near California.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
If i may be a bit presumptuous. Steve has the optimum Horizon setup. If you are anywhere near California.

I’m in Florida, so it’s too far me to travel. But Steve has shared some tube advice for the Horizon. Hopefully, Fred Ainsley will be by soon.

Reactions: facten

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Funny because it I think Florida was the first step on the Horizon Launch at Steves place. Three were two Horizons at this year's CAF.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Funny because it I think Florida was the first step on the Horizon Launch at Steves place. Three were two Horizons at this year's CAF.

I didn’t know that. However, because of medical reasons I can’t go far from home.

I live in N.FL. - near Destin. Maybe one day someone will observe the fact that we have numerous very large military bases (Eglin is the largest AF base in the world and we have seven more bases near by) up here with a great interest in Hi End Audio and begin to have some shows close by. We have more high ranking military guys in our club than anyone else….

There aren’t even true high end dealers up this way. My dealer is in AL - and Tony is the greatest (Ellington HiFi). We have a Georgia Home Theater store but the store here isn’t into two-channel audio. And we have a Best Buy, which I don‘t go into unless dragged.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I didn’t know that. However, because of medical reasons I can’t go far from home.

I live in N.FL. - near Destin. Maybe one day someone will observe the fact that we have numerous very large military bases (Eglin is the largest AF base in the world and we have seven more bases near by) up here with a great interest in Hi End Audio and begin to have some shows close by. We have more high ranking military guys in our club than anyone else….

There aren’t even true high end dealers up this way. My dealer is in AL - and Tony is the greatest (Ellington HiFi). We have a Georgia Home Theater store but the store here isn’t into two-channel audio. And we have a Best Buy, which I don‘t go into unless dragged.
The Florida Audio Expo is a great show if you can get to Tampa. Joe Parvey’s House of Stereo in Jacksonville is a great dealer.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
The Florida Audio Expo is a great show if you can get to Tampa. Joe Parvey’s House of Stereo in Jacksonville is a great dealer.

I can’t make it to Tampa - a good 7-8 hours aways. Jacksonville is app 3 hours away - right at my limit for traveling these days. I was researching T+A there some time back.

Reactions: Lee

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing